Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Look What I Found...FML...Headstud (pic)

4K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  toren302 
#1 ·
Went to start the truck after being gone for a week and found a broken headstud laying underneath it. Has anyone had a stud snap like this???? Only owned the truck for a couple months and put maybe 1k miles on it. Not used for towing and neither did the previous owner. Trying to determine if this was something that happened the last time I drove it and it just happened to wiggle itself out as I parked or if this was a previous issue and it just now came out. No oil/coolant loss. 199k, has all the usual mods and not hot rodded or throwing down tons of power. Anyone know of a reliable diesel shop around the Savannah, GA area haha...

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Oh wow. .

#3 ·
are you sure your actually missing one?

#4 ·
You need to look at your truck and see if its from yours or not. I can't imagine with the rust on it that its yours.....it might be that PO was looking at it and dropped it in the valley and couldn't find it....

#6 ·
ARP ka-snapped! Someone is punking you or the stud is really broken. Did you find it yet? Should be an easy find if it is yours.

Some have asked why you don't want to over-torque an ARP stud, or inspect it on assembly. Here is one reason.

ARP would probably be interested in getting this one back and giving you a new set.

#9 ·
Ya, it is the stud closest to the firewall on the driver's side. It's definitely missing. Has anyone seen something like this before after installing studs? I guess im extremely lucky for it to have fallen out while idling in the parking space and not while driving down the road; who knows how long it would have been before that would be noticed.

#10 ·
As far as the rust, I am assuming it came out when I parked it last week. Sat for a week on the ground with rain pretty much everyday

#13 ·
Got some more pics, including the impact point where the stud was projectiled. Looks like it came flying out either while idling or on start up yesterday. Also a pic of some oil buildup at the back of the block where the stud was and a small line of oil where the head bolts up. Maybe they didnt check the heads before reinstalling? The only diesel tech I can find in Savannah is at the dealer, anyone have a recommendation?

Attachments

#15 ·
Yeah thats what looks like what happened. So who knows if it was torqued improperly and that compromised the integrity of the stud and it finally let go or what. Not too happy right now, kind of considering the Cummins swap haha

#16 ·
That drivers side rear bolt is a beyotch. If you don't put it in with the head then you're gonna have a hell of a time.

I almost wonder if that stud was beat in and possibly got bent a little bit. Since these studs don't stretch like bolts that could have damaged it.

#18 ·
Either way that really sucks cause now the heads are gonna have to come off like he said...wow,....at least you won't have to buy new heads maybe....I'd have the decks checked for squareness.....

#19 ·
When I went to Auto machinist school one major rule I heard of arp was reuse. I have seen a rod stud snap like this one but it was uses un several different applications. This is crazy and definitely worthy to send back to arp to see what they have to say.

#20 ·
I'm going to get a hold of ARP this week and hopefully they will have some sort of insight. Hopefully the diesel tech at the dealer will have some answers as well, so far no one has seen something like this

#21 ·
#23 ·
WOW I cannot believe this!! That is awesome man I have never heard of this or seen this! When this thing let loose it must have shot out after all the energy from the clamping let loose! it looks like is was cracked for a while from the rust!! WOW JUST WOW!!

#24 ·
That makes me a little worried that a master tech has never seen something like it haha, I just hope that there is no major damage to internals

#26 ·
Ill keep updating as I find more out, might be a week or so before I find anything out

#27 ·
Talked to ARP during the week and it's not covered under their lifetime warranty. I told them what happened and the first question was "was their rust on it?" Apparently this is not that uncommon. If there is any sort of nick or anything on the stud, over time it corrodes and eventually lets loose. I figured something like that would still be covered under warranty, but apparently not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.