Turbo wont go past 10-12psi?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 02:20 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo wont go past 10-12psi??

Hi everyone,

I have a 2005 F250 Lariat 6.0 with no tunes, nothing special besides the banks monster exhaust that I straight piped, no cat... no muffler. I've been popping check engine lights so I brought it into the shop this week.

PO401 "exhaust gas recirculation insufficient"

I also notice whether I barely touch the pedal or I stomp it to ground I dont go over 10psi on the turbo gauge... I remember I used to at one point be able to hit the 20's even 30psi. Any clue what might be causing this and can the EGR be the culprit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2013, 02:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Re: Turbo wont go past 10-12psi??

A leak somewhere? I had leaking exhaust manifolds and i was losing boost big time

Sent from my YP-G1
Old 02-28-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltage1256 View Post
Hi everyone,

I have a 2005 F250 Lariat 6.0 with no tunes, nothing special besides the banks monster exhaust that I straight piped, no cat... no muffler. I've been popping check engine lights so I brought it into the shop this week.

PO401 "exhaust gas recirculation insufficient"

I also notice whether I barely touch the pedal or I stomp it to ground I dont go over 10psi on the turbo gauge... I remember I used to at one point be able to hit the 20's even 30psi. Any clue what might be causing this and can the EGR be the culprit?
EGR can definitely be the culprit. Pull your EGR valve and see what you got going on in the intake manifold and valve.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:20 PM

Mackattack, sorry to sound stupid but what is it that would be leaking? oil?? I just got the truck back because I was leaking oil from the oil pressure switch, but Im wondering if there is more then one spot?

boozer I am not mechanically inclined unfortunately im learning one step at a time and for now this is still out of my league
Old 02-28-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltage1256 View Post
Mackattack, sorry to sound stupid but what is it that would be leaking? oil?? I just got the truck back because I was leaking oil from the oil pressure switch, but Im wondering if there is more then one spot?

boozer I am not mechanically inclined unfortunately im learning one step at a time and for now this is still out of my league
I've heard that sometimes the oil pressure sender units leak through the connector. Is that were it is?

Sent from my YP-G1
Old 02-28-2013, 03:33 PM
PROUD AMERICAN!!!

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Try pulling the EGR valve and cleaning it, then go from there.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackattack6.0 View Post
I've heard that sometimes the oil pressure sender units leak through the connector. Is that were it is?

Sent from my YP-G1
I've been doing the overnight shift at my firehouse and over the last week since it was raining up near me I noticed the water puddles around my truck were rainbowing... sure enough I parked in 2 different spots the next couple of days and there was spots of what I now guess was oil.. There was a drip running down the oil pan and tranny area but if you popped the hood there was oil up there so it was clearly running down, I brought it to my mechanic for an oil change and told him the problem, he thinks it was the oil pressure switch so they replaced that and washed down the undercarriage and cleaned up the engine compartment... now Im going to spend the next couple of days checking where I park for drip puddles to see if the switch was not the culpriate... but can that leak be related to low turbo spool over the past several months or is it the fact my check engine light is EGR related? I just cant seem to remember when the last time I saw high PSI was... I guess trial and error will tell the tale as far as the leak, for if im not leaking anymore in the next couple of days, then I'd put my small bet on EGR
Old 02-28-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozer76 View Post
EGR can definitely be the culprit. Pull your EGR valve and see what you got going on in the intake manifold and valve.
I would start there also
Old 02-28-2013, 03:43 PM

Deff check your egr. Im not sure about oil and turbo connection other than the turbo oil need leaking but idk if that would effect boost that much. Its also possible that the boost gadge is malfunctioning. Is it electronic or taking actual readings manually.

Sent from my YP-G1
Old 02-28-2013, 03:59 PM

Pull and clean your EGR valve. If your not deleted and not running a tune your EGR Valve can and will coke up and can stick causing you CEL light to come on. Pulling EGR valve is not difficult however, it can be hard to get the valve out if its stuck. Large screw driver or small pry bar will help. Do a search on you tube there are some real good videos of how to pull and clean EGR valve. This will definitely cause turbo boost problems. Good luck and just dig into it. If you get stuck there is pleanty of help here on the org.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.