6.0 headgaskets leaking with ARP studs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 06:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 headgaskets leaking with ARP studs

Let me start off by saying long time reader, first time poster.

I have an '03 F350 6.0L and I have been head studded for over 3 years and 160,000+ km. The work was done by myself and another tech while we both worked at a local Ford dealer. I had pulled the engine and did a complete re-seal at approximately 205,000km. The truck now has 360,000km and I have since moved on to another shop and no longer work for Ford. l also have egr blocked off and have been running a Diablo Predator tuner since studs. Nothing much else done other than AFE intake and MBRP exhaust.

Started with noticing lack of heat on decel when coming to a stop and then also some venting/wetness around my degas bottle cap. I tried a new cap and thermostat to start and that didnt fix it. Next I installed a pressure gauge inline with the degas bottle and this is where Im pretty sure my heads/gaskets are leaking again. I have 17psi with the cap on after a hard road test (which anything more is getting vented via the 16psi cap) and it goes from 0-15psi in less than 5 min of mild (light acceleration, less than 10-15psi boost) driving when its cold. I never left the gauge on the resevoir any longer to see what the max it went to because I didnt want to over pressure the cooling system and rupture a hose, etc.

We used a combustion sniffer in the degas bottle but our fluid was a couple years old (not sure if it has a shelf life or not) and the fluid didnt change color as I expected it to with the cooling system pressure up so quickly with what I am pretty sure is combustion gases. I have been talking back and forth with one of my Ford diesel tech friends and he is pretty sure its my heads leaking again. Just the lack of color change on the fluid (yes, it is diesel compatible fluid) and not seeing or hearing of many people having to do gaskets again after studs is making me second guess our diagnosis.

My question is: Have any of you out there had many heads/gaskets leak after they are studded? OEM gaskets were used when it was done too. Is there any other way I could be getting this kind of pressure that quickly in my cooling system? And have any of you re-used ARP studs?

I plan on calling ARP today and seeing if I can get some info on the re-use of the studs. And I heard from another friend that ARP actually recommends re-torquing of the studs after some use on them. Has anyone heard of this before? This would be one big PITA on a 6.0 if this was the case.

Thanks in advance for any/all replies!

Last edited by 6.0rigrocket; 02-28-2013 at 06:56 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2013, 07:05 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
A retorque is not necessary. When you pulled the heads what did you do with them before reinstalling them? Also ARP's can be reused so long as they haven't been over torqued.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
A retorque is not necessary. When you pulled the heads what did you do with them before reinstalling them? Also ARP's can be reused so long as they haven't been over torqued.
We checked them with a straight edge and cleaned/installed them. They werent sent out at the time to be magnafluxed or pressure checked. Is that what you were wondering?
Old 02-28-2013, 07:16 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Yep. That is most likely your cause for failure. Nothing against you or you buddy but I cannot believe that Ford specs call for .004" to be within tolerance on a MLS gasket with only 20 bolts on a high compression engine.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Re: 6.0 headgaskets leaking with ARP studs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.0rigrocket View Post
We checked them with a straight edge and cleaned/installed them. They werent sent out at the time to be magnafluxed or pressure checked. Is that what you were wondering?
I'm not a professional, but I'm assuming this is your problem. Your cutting corners in the wrong area. The heads should have been sent to a shop to be fluxed fit cracks and milled for flatness at least.....

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 02-28-2013, 07:17 AM

Are you getting diesel in the coolant?
Old 02-28-2013, 07:24 AM

Well He didn't cut corners He did it by the book ,,

stupid book anyway LOL

but agreed your heads are likely the culprit and YES ARP responded to Me "unless there was a fail like a hydro lock and other drama the studs are reusable
Old 02-28-2013, 07:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor75 View Post
Are you getting diesel in the coolant?
No, I thought maybe injector sleeve(s) too.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes, the heads probably should've went out. I was pretty confident that I was not going to have to deal with head gaskets much in the future especially after crossing the 100,000km mark after doing them.

Anyone know how much boost you can run with stock gaskets and studs? I dont think im over boosting, but I do hit ~32-34psi on my gauge when pulling my holiday trailer.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
Well He didn't cut corners He did it by the book ,,

stupid book anyway LOL

but agreed your heads are likely the culprit and YES ARP responded to Me "unless there was a fail like a hydro lock and other drama the studs are reusable
Was there anything said in regards to what to torque them to again? I read last night about a blue ARP lube and to torque to 230ft/lb instead of the 210 that they were done the first time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.