NEW--Oil Cooler and high Delta's..??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 10:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
NEW--Oil Cooler and high Delta's..???

OK.. so in my last 72 hours...I did have to run to the dealer and pick up a few parts..sitting there was a silver 2012..leather..sunroof....beside me a loving wife saying do it.....part of me saying ..no..life without a payment is nice...

Ok...back to the real work...2004 F250 with a 6.0 -- 95K in miles. replaced EGR about a year a go with a Bulletproof version.

Installed 6 weeks ago...IPR coolant filter with one of there nice oil cooler manifolds to pull water from the cooler to the filter.

Completed Restore and Restore+... Ran 90 minutes each with multiple flush's 25 gallons of distilled and added Fumoto valve on drivers side. refilled with RED ELC...

Friday night....rolled in to tear down at 7 pm and had the oil cooler in my hands by 10:30 pm...shade tree mechanic...LOL

Saturday...trip to dealer for a new exhuast clamp.....DROOL on the 2012.
Clean up parts and started rebuild. NEW cooler came from BD Diesel..with blue spring update kit and minor gaskets.

Had truck 80% back by midnight. Decided to roll into sunday..rather than push it til the wee hours.

Sunday morning...wrapped up minor items and started truck..little hestitation as fuel built presssure. I added Pyro for my Edge Insight as well...figure now that I am in mechanic mode.. geterr done. I added new thermostat in the mix.

Lost turbo boost.. due to MAP sensor hose no being plugged in and slight exhuast leak on ERG Cooler clamp....3 hours to get that resolved...NEED tiny hands to work on this truck.

OK..Boost is good 25-28 PSI--..EGT temp in stop and go traffic is 300-500

Today is Monday and ride to work is about 10 miles freeway.

Coolant 190........Oil Temp....210-215.....

I think I have four options...

1. $$$ Bulletproof diesel--full solution
2. Water pump..?
3. Radiator..?
4.That feeling when you pull that baby off the LOT......grinning..in a 2012 F250.

What do you guys think.......??????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013, 12:16 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm in the same boat man... I've had about the same coolant/oil temps and I have been eying the new F-350... I've been in the 15-30 degree deltas range.

I'm going the BPD route myself though. I have so much time and money invested in my current rig. To me, it just isn't worth it, right now, to buy a new truck. Not to mention the dealer will hose me on trade in... Not having a payment is epic since I paid all my toys off. I can't tell you how good it feels to see a surplus of money in the checking account despite idiot spending and savings along with all the normal bills.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by squawfish View Post
Coolant 190........Oil Temp....210-215.....

I think I have four options...

1. $$$ Bulletproof diesel--full solution
2. Water pump..?
3. Radiator..?
4.That feeling when you pull that baby off the LOT......grinning..in a 2012 F250.

What do you guys think.......??????????
that's rough. I don't see where you might have done anything in the wrong order, like some do. I guess, let's verify that your temps are very close when the engine is cold after sitting all night? Maybe the oil temp sender is off. What are you reading the temps from?

I don't think the water pump or radiator are going to have any effect on oil temp.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I checked coolant and oil temp first thing in the am...there pretty even.

I am using and Edge Insight to monitor temps.

Little frustrating....to say the least.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:01 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Your cooling system is fine as far as moving the coolant required to cool the engine. You have a clogged oil cooler on the coolant side. The ONLY way to alleviate this problem is to get the BPD kit and get rid of the JUNK OEM OIL COOLER!! It is expensive up front yes, but think about the $300 you just spent on a NEW OEM oil cooler and it is clogged up already. Now you have to go back in and do it again with no promises of a new OEM oil cooler not clogging on you like this one did. BPD oil cooler kit is worth EVERY PENNY in my honest opinion.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:58 AM
Premium Member

Let's be honest about what happened here. The alkaline and acid flushed disturbed the crud in the coolant system. There was a lot of crud remaining in the system and it needed a few more cycles to flake off the residual and be redistributed and, of course, get captured in the oil cooler. The vehicle needed to have a second, evacuation flush after some driving cycles (pressure/heat/cool) prior to the new cooler. It may also need a new radiator and heater core to ensure all the crud is removed. Then, and only then on a corroded system would a new cooler be safe. You should see what comes out of water systems when they have just been pressure cycled! I am not saying the OP is responsible for this predicament, but except for casting sand, everything else is induced by the user, including high heat cycles that may bring the silicates out of solution.

The good news is a reverse flush (with pressure if needed) of the cooler should work! Why? This restriction is just particulate that is not chemically attached to the structure. With a bit of luck, there will be very little soft goo and it should clean out as well. The only decision is do you flush the cooler in the truck or do you pull it out and do it in tank or on a bench?

It sucks to have to do it more than once...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.