9200 miles and putting another set of head on! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 08:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
9200 miles and putting another set of head on!

So, 9200 miles ago I put brand new OE heads on from Ford (old ones were cracked). While doing the project I put in A1 Technologies studs, OE head gaskets, injector o-rings, EGR cooler delete, oil cooler, FPR blue spring upgrade, banjo bolts, stand pipes, y-pipe (mine was cracked), intake and exhaust manifold gaskets, IPR, IPC, Turbo drain pipe update, and thermostat. HPOP was replaced about 15000 miles ago.

I was having black smoke and lack of power so I pulled the compressor side of the turbo to find oil EVERYWHERE and the oil level low. Brought the turbo in and it was toast and had it rebuilt.

Back on the road, still black smoke. Found 2 injector o-rings leaking on the passenger side and decided to pull the drivers side...this is when the fun began! To my surprise I found 2 injector cups with coolant in them. I parked it til I had time to check it out further.

Today I pulled all 8 injectors and pressurized the coolant degas to find 2 cups leaking on the drivers side, and 2 leaking on the passenger side. I pulled the heads off to find BOTH head gaskets were blown too! Ford is replacing BOTH heads (parts only) under warranty and I'm doing the work.

So my question is...WHY did my heads last this long? I do a lot of hauling during the summer (9 out of 10 days I'm pulling 6k pounds), and plow snow with the monster. I have had a turbo code off and on (po132b) but went away with the turbo rebuild (granted it was only 200 miles ago). I scan the truck constantly to make sure there's no codes and repair anything as it comes up. My cylinders look great with the honing swirls still and pistons look great.

Stats on the truck:
281k miles
4" straight pipe/3.5'' downpipe
S&B Cold Air Intake
Boost and EGT Gauges
Stock Programming

Last edited by Sno-Mow; 02-18-2013 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Forgot a couple parts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 08:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If i were buying a new set of heads i would still take them from the box straight to a machine shop to check them out.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:55 PM

My machine shop indicated that straight from Ford the heads aren't flat enough, and their surface finish is not smooth enough to get a good seal. Your problem (coolant in cup) sounds more like a crack issue and possibly flawed casting?

MikeB
Old 02-18-2013, 09:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I thought about bringing the heads the first time to a machine shop but a buddy of mine who's a mechanic by trade said to forget that.

Guess when I get the new heads I'll bring them in, what the hell its cheap insurance.

The nice part is that I caught it early and Ford is giving me replacement heads under warranty
Old 02-19-2013, 05:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

So I just spoke to the stealership and they found it odd that BOTH heads are leaking and FORD is arguing about it AFTER the stealership said they would replace the heads.

I found it interesting that the heads which were "the updated" heads that I bought in 9/2012 are no longer available and have been replaced by another "updated" head

I'm guessing I maybe getting an attorney involved in this whole matter. Its almost like they think I ENJOY pulling their junk apart.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quick update: Took the glow plugs out of the junk heads today and found to my suprise...Crusted coolant in 3 holes of the drivers side and oil in all 4 holes in the passenger side head.

Any thoughts? My guess is that for sure the heads are screwed and will be bringing them to the machine shop mainly because I'm curious to find out exactly what is wrong! Hell, if it wouldn't cost me another $1200 I would section it apart to see inside the passages.

Keep in mind these heads have about 9200 miles on them and were bought BRAND NEW from Ford.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Re: 9200 miles and putting another set of head on!

So, both heads were cracked. The replacements went from box to machine shop. Both were warped .006 & .0055!

I found a machine shop that machines this garbage and rebuild them because mine won't.

I'll be putting it back together today.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:37 AM

What a disaster

From what I have read ford only sells reman Heads and that may be wh the part number changed ?
and their tolerance for good is less than Ideal

have fun !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.