Rear engine cover replacement. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 11:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rear engine cover replacement at home?

Is it possible to replace the rear engine cover, STC, HPOP and IPR in your driveway?

My rear engine cover is cracked from my STC, Can I replace it by pulling the trans out or do i need to pull the engine? While i am in there i figured i would go ahead and replace my HPOP and my IPR. Has anyone done this?? Any tips??

Last edited by dpmac83; 02-17-2013 at 11:25 AM. Reason: fat fingers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 12:41 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Pulling the trans is easier but not by an means easy. Torqshifts are heavy, whatever you make sure your jack is big enough and strap that monster down.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:53 PM

I just wanted to know if it was possible to replace the cover with the trans removed.

I have no issues getting to the HPOP, IPR and STC, I just need to make sure that if i Rip the trans out that i will be able to remove and change the rear cover. Should i do anything else while i am in there???
Old 02-17-2013, 12:54 PM

thank you for your reponse by the way!!
Old 02-17-2013, 02:01 PM
Premium Member

Re: Rear engine cover replacement.

I removed my transfer case for weight and balance when dropping my trans. I used a floor jack adapter that I got from Auto Zone. Nice piece, it had outriggers for better footing. Getting to the converter bolts was the biggest PITA.

Sent from my LG-VS700 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 02-17-2013, 04:20 PM

well, so far today I got the fwd and aft driveshafts out along with the xfer case skidplate, intercooler pipe from the turbo, intake out and exhaust disconnected. the upper clamp on my Y pipe is tuned backward so it is going to be a pain and the turbo still has the aft bolt attaching it to the pedestal installed so that will be fun but it is all coming along nicely.

I dont know the technical term for it but the pipe coming from the HPOP housing into the bottom of the turbo. How do you disconnect that??

and the oil line running from the top of the turbo to the oil filter/oil cooler housing. Is it better to disconnect from the turbo or the oil cooler housing?

Any special tooling needed to get to the tq converter bolts?
Old 02-17-2013, 07:13 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
That is the turbo drain tube, it just slides straight out of the HPOP cover once the turbo is removed.

As for the turbo feed tube. unbolt it from the turbo and unbolt it from the oil cooler, wiggle that ***** til it comes up and all the way out.

The torque converter nuts are 14mm. a shallow 1/4" drive and a long 1/4" ratchet will do.

I rotate the engine by the crank bolts. I'll find the link for the box wrench I use for this

edit- kind of expensive for a one time use but it gets the job done. Its about 15" long and fits right up in there perfect, the crank pulley bolt heads are 18mm and you may be able to find something else that works

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....e=&dir=catalog

Last edited by sinner6.0L; 02-17-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:36 AM

Thanks for the info,

I got the trans out last night so i am staring at my tq converter and flywheel on the aft end of the engine and staring at the turbo bolts and pedestal on top.
I am trying to get all my parts either on order or picked up from my local dealer. before i rip the rest out so i am not leaving too many open holes in my engine.

Is anyone using Tousley ford for their parts of can i find better deals somewhere else.

I can post any info if anyone has any questions about anything.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:45 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Re: Rear engine cover replacement.

Sunrise or autofair may be able to beat SOME of Tousley's prices but overall Tousley seems to have the best deals. Guys in parts over there are very helpful also
Old 02-18-2013, 11:27 AM

Well I got all the parts ordered, and My back pocket is quite a bit lighter. But hopefully all will be here by this weekend. The rear cover that was cracked was backordered so i had to find a place that had one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.