04 F250 fuel & oil change started, then died - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 02:54 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
04 F250 fuel & oil change started, then died

So today, I changed my fuel filters to motorcraft filters after using what pep boys had to get me up and running a few weeks ago. Truck died after putting biodiesel in it, basically it gelled up and had to heat up with torpedo heater for a few hours to get everything flowing again.

Changed oil to my normal rotella 5w40 synthetic, new oil and fuel filters from Ford dealership. Changed everything, cycled about ten times and started right up. Let it run for a few minutes while I was putting away my tools and all of a sudden truck shuddered and died. Tried restarting with no luck. Checked top bowl and not getting any fuel there. took bottom filter on and off about five times thinking I'm getting air somewhere.

Is it possible that whatever I had left in the tank from before hasnt been burned up and is gelled also? Its been two tanks of fuel. Pump is running everytime.

Any ideass?

Basically got my batteries on a charger now cuz they're dead>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 05:13 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Re: 04 F250 fuel & oil change started, then died

Do you have the motorcraft filter caps to match? Sometimes the primary filter can suck air if not seated correctly.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:27 PM
Premium Member

oil

So the outcome was finally got it started. After priming like 35 times, finally got fuel to the top bowl. Another 35 times cranking and a 20 second shot of carb cleaner finally got her going. Starts fine everytime after the initial driving around to get the rest of the air out. Don't think this should be happening everytime I change the filters What a pain in the ***, just gonna pay someone next time.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You are correct, it shouldn't take that long to get going after filters. You have something else going on. What is your fuel pressure?

If you had let someone else do this change for you, I am guessing they would have started replacing things when they couldn't get it out of their bay... Could get pretty expensive.

MikeB
Old 02-18-2013, 07:13 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i would be careful using starting aids very very bad for the 6.0
Old 02-19-2013, 05:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to jimmyv13 Send a message via Yahoo to jimmyv13
Mine did the same thing after my most recent fuel filter change. Diesel Kleen 911 and a double dose of Howes and it's been perfect since.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:29 PM

What is 911 diesel clean and Howes? I've got an '06 F250 6L that won't start. No heater installed. It's been fine but I drove it home and parked it for a week and it won't start. DTC indicates number 3&5 glow plug failure. I'd changed oil/filter and fuel filters. I've put a thousand miles since the service without issue. All I've got is Scangauge 2 for DTCs.
Thanks!
Old 02-19-2013, 03:56 PM
Premium Member

Not sure about the fuel pressure although I have the blue spring upgrade already. Gotta get gauges I guess, any suggestions.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:19 PM
Retired Army

I installed GlowShift Max Tow because at my ever-advancing age, those dials look cool but the digital readout makes it easy to monitor. Added the gauges first, saw low pressure (32psi or so @ idle) then blue spring and saw 52psi @ idle. Now after driving it some and replacing both fuel filters (Motorcraft), the pressure stays about 42 @ idle. Hate to think a new pump / AirDog II is in my near future.

Sorry, long story short, I like the Max Tow because they're both analog and digital.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to jimmyv13 Send a message via Yahoo to jimmyv13
911 reliquifies gelled fuel and/or frozen fuel filters and howe's is an anti-gel fuel conditioner.

I went with Glowshift gauges as well. The max tow series weren't out when I got the Elite 10 series. I'm happy with mine. I see 64 at idle and it drops into the mid-upper 50's at WOT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.