Major smoke while at idle and under acceleration - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 04:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Major smoke while at idle and under acceleration

Hi all-

So amongst my other problems this started the yesterday.

Really rough start up. Really rough while warming up and blowing smoke all the time, alot of smoke. I have a video but dont know how to load it on here. Then while driving, under acceleration it blows a lot of black sooty smoke. I mean I can cloud the expressway like James Bond pulling the smoke screen lever. I do have a code P0281- Cylinder 7 contribution something or other. I assume its an injector. There's a lack of power when it comes of idle sometimes, not all the time, then boost picks up and it takes off. Am I right to assume that is all it is. I will order some rev-x tomorrow.

Ford checked my batteries a couple weeks back and said they failed some test of theirs. I still havent bought new ones obviously. (I will in the morning now) They havent shown anything out of the ordinary on my monitor and always seem to have plenty of cranking power but now Im seeing a " what do I know" situation. I am concerned about my FICM if they are in fact bad. Ficm voltages are always between 47.5-48.5. I am not sure on cold start craking though what it gets to. I will check that in the morning. But I have read bad batteries can kill an FICM. My repair tab keeps going up I guess.

If there is anything I am missing or am forgeting to mention to confirm my suspicions please ask me.

Thanks Much

Geoff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 05:21 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Re: Major smoke while at idle and under acceleration

Perform ficm test on a cold engine only, after you load test the batteries. Rev-x will only help with cold rough start. What type of monitor do you have? Sounds like a bad ficm and bad injector, overfueling will damage your engine if you keep running our like that. You should also pull your egr and inspect it.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

re

Ok so I took my batteries out Saturday morning and up to my local Autozone. They said they tested the batteries and gave me a print out showing the batteries are good. I did have the truck plugged in but never attempted to start it before removing them.

Now its Sunday morning and I did not have the truck plugged in, went out to attemp to start it and the battery volts seemed low. I think it was 11.4 with the key on engine off, about 10* outside. I am going to try to put a video up through you tube. It started up just fine though

Here is the video hopefully-

Lets see if that works
Old 02-17-2013, 08:31 AM
Premium Member

Your voltage is normal during starup with the glowplugs on. The glowplugs will stay lit for up to 2 min, depending on engine temps. You still should check your ficm voltages with a cold engine, less than 45v is a sign of ficm failure.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:37 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

That doesn;t sound good at all! I would suspect for sure an injector (or two) and possibly an FICM, but the FICM voltage looks good on the monitor, so I would say at least one injector, but sounds like more than one...

My injector failed on my way home from the beach and I returned the truck to a stock tune and drove it easy home and it drove fairly okay, a lot of vibration at idle you could feel, but the truck built boost and everything fairly decent for a dead cylinder. What I did was took the truck to Ford and had them run an injector test with their computers so I could tell which injector was bad and make sure I didn;t have any others failing soon after I replaced this one. Cost me like $100-$120 for this scan.

This is what my 6.0 sounded like from a "cold" start (sitting overnight not cold temps) with one bad injector. You can really hear the miss when I first started to increase the RPMs. Yours probably sounds SO bad because of the cold outside temp coupled with bad injector

Last edited by 05_PSD_Erik; 02-17-2013 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:51 AM
Premium Member

Major smoke while at idle and under acceleration

Need to check ICP/IPR voltage and Percent. Am suspecting your IPR Valve might be bad. Your device should be able to check that. You don't have enough oil pressure in your HPOP system to cycle your injectors.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 02-17-2013, 08:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

re

Here's the EGR valve, How bad is that?

Old 02-17-2013, 09:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

re

[quote You still should check your ficm voltages with a cold engine, less than 45v is a sign of ficm failure.][/quote]

What the monitor reads before I start it isnt correct?, Sorry if stupid question I just dont know.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

icp voltage

Well I changed the "pid" and the voltage reading for that was .2 with the key on and enginge off. I started it up and it fluctuated around 2.+ something. I then shut it off to see if I would have a consistant read on it and now it won start again. It turns over for a few seconds then the starter just kinda free spins. Hmmm.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:18 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff426 View Post
[quote You still should check your ficm voltages with a cold engine, less than 45v is a sign of ficm failure.]
What the monitor reads before I start it isnt correct?, Sorry if stupid question I just dont know.[/QUOTE]

I apologize, I didn't look at the video before i said that. It looks good. Ficm logic board can also fail, it's rare, and honestly i'm not sure how that is checked. The other suggestions need to be checked also.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.