HFCM Cover Replacement Questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 01:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HFCM Cover Replacement Questions

I need some advice with the HFCM in my 2005 F-250 4WD Diesel.

I just replaced the fuel filter and tried to re-install the water separator drain plug. It looks good, but it will not tighten. It threads on loosely but keeps spinning. As I can't seat it, I assume it will pop out when driving.

Answers to following would be a big help:

When I removed it, a half circle of steel came out in the plug's threads. I am assuming that this is a broken thread from inside the HFCM threads. This sliver of metal is not an engineered part by any remote chance?

Am I right to assume that the only way I am going to fix this is by replacing the entire cover of the HFCM?

Can the cover of the HFCM be swapped out with the drive shaft in the way, or will I have to drop that first?

I see part number 6C3Z-9B249-A at Amazon for $118. Is that the one I need, or is that more than I need?

If I am to replace the entire cover, could I try a temporary fix by permanently sealing the drain plug in place with some JB Weld?

Any other relevant advice from someone who has replaced a HFCM cover would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

RR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 02:09 PM
PROUD AMERICAN!!!

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgread View Post
I need some advice with the HFCM in my 2005 F-250 4WD Diesel.

I just replaced the fuel filter and tried to re-install the water separator drain plug. It looks good, but it will not tighten. It threads on loosely but keeps spinning. As I can't seat it, I assume it will pop out when driving.

Answers to following would be a big help:

When I removed it, a half circle of steel came out in the plug's threads. I am assuming that this is a broken thread from inside the HFCM threads. This sliver of metal is not an engineered part by any remote chance?

I would definitely say that the threads inside have stripped out, and it is not an engineered piece.

Am I right to assume that the only way I am going to fix this is by replacing the entire cover of the HFCM?

I would agree with your assumption, but someone else may chime in with other info.

Can the cover of the HFCM be swapped out with the drive shaft in the way, or will I have to drop that first?

Yes. I have taken mine off and reinstalled it with the drive shaft on. I will suggest though that when reinstalling the cover be care not to strip out the mounting holes in the cover and housing. Ask me how I know.

I see part number 6C3Z-9B249-A at Amazon for $118. Is that the one I need, or is that more than I need?

I am not sure about the part number. I ended up using a bigger screw to hold my cover on and then found a guy her on the org that had an extra HFCM laying around and sold it to me for like $50-$75. You might consider trying to find a used unit and go from there.

If I am to replace the entire cover, could I try a temporary fix by permanently sealing the drain plug in place with some JB Weld?

I'm not sure about that route, but someone else might.

Any other relevant advice from someone who has replaced a HFCM cover would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

RR
My responses are in blue.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Rattlesnake18,

Thanks for that.

I am going to try locking the old plug in place with some gas tank repair putty I just purchased. If that holds, it will buy me 10k miles of time before I need to swap the cover. I can use the time to look for a sub $118 option.

Cheers,

RR
Old 02-14-2013, 02:42 PM
PROUD AMERICAN!!!

No problem man. I'm not sure how well the putty will work, but I've never tried it, let me know how it works for ya.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Now that I know it's coming off, how?

Rattlesnake18 (or anyone else in the know),

The quick answer is that the putty seems to work fine, at least seems solid and got around town today.

However, not willing to leave well enough alone, I bought the 9B249A kit for $120 at the dealer.

When you say that you have removed this with the 4wd drive shaft in place, do you mean you just took the cover off, or that you removed the entire HFCM and then did the cover replacement on the bench? I am about to attempt to only remove the cover, leaving the HFCM on the rail while I do it.

I easily removed the two rear side fuel lines which have the built-in push tab releases.

The bottom rear line did not stop trickling fuel. It must have run near half a gallon before I reinstalled it. Is that normal? Do I need to just wait that out. Did I make a huge mistake by buying fuel today? Do I need to plug the line while the cover is off?

I was about to get to work on the front lines which look like plain old fuel line disconnects, but I don't think the tool I bought fits them, so I am off to autozone for a more complete set.

I have not quite decided if I like my new hobby, but at least I now accept that I have a new hobby.

Thanks,

RR
Old 02-15-2013, 02:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

they sell a better drain plug also

did u see that ?
Old 02-15-2013, 02:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Personally, I'd remove the entire HFCM. You can do that without pulling the front driveshaft. This will not only make it easier to install the cover, but give you a chance to give the HFCM and WIF sensor a good cleaning.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You are right. That is now the plan.

I am still fighting the bottom forward fuel line. The disconnect tool will slide in, but the line is not disconnecting. I have a feeling I am going to end up breaking the fitting on the line before I get it off.

(time to surf for advice on that)

Thanks,

RR
Old 02-15-2013, 03:40 PM
PROUD AMERICAN!!!

Yes, I took the cover off with the HFCM still mounted to the frame, but Snake makes a very good point about taking the whole unit off and giving it all a good cleaning.

Also, you should take ZMANN's advice and look into the upgraded drain plug. We got one for our work 6.0 and it will make the process of draining the w/f separator a lot easier for you.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The main module is now on a bench. The old cover is still stuck to the last fuel line which is refusing to disconnect.

I think the plastic disconnect tool may have the right ID to go around the steel tube but be a tad too thin (ie the OD is a hair too small) to release the internal mechanism on the line. No doubt the old line has a lot of crap lodged in the fitting as well.

I may be off to buy a third release tool.

yup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
hfcm cover drain plug

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.