Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Engine leaking oil

2K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  06Lariat_ 
#1 ·
So i just got this truck and went under it to find a decent leak. It looks like it comes from the rear of the engine down to the oil pan then on to the trans. So I brought it to the dealer and they said its coming from the top of the engine possibly a rearmain seal or intake. Also he said its common for these to leak. It seems like they don't want to fix it but its still under warranty so I think they should.
Anyways is it something to worry about before I can get it back to them?

#2 ·
Ill bet 91.2% of trucks on here have the same leak just probably not as bad.. My truck has had this leak since day one, the description of my leak would be that it just leaves a light residue on the bottom of tranny(does not leak onto the ground)... If it was me i would leave it, to repair it they would have to overhaul the engine and replace the bed pan seal(more than likely where its coming from without lookng at it, or rear main seal). But if its under warranty, heck see if they will find the leak and repair it, then you could get them to put studs in the whole nine yards!

#3 ·
If it's under warrenty, get it fixed. Bedplate seal or reat main is not something you want to look at after the warrenty expires. The only other place it could come from is hpop cover. Intake, very unlikely, at that it would be very little. And as stated it's not that uncommon to find oil in this area. Mine leaks, not sure what it is.....

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

#4 ·
It's actually not to bad I'd just covers the tranny and rear of the oil pan. It just kind of makes me wonder how cheaply these engines are made.

#5 ·
note: as the engine is at operating temp, it should not leak as the gaskets/seal expands and "seals the leak"

#6 ·
I don't think I can see where it comes from unless I get a long snake with a camera so I wouldn't know if it leaks while running. But anyways the thing shouldn't leak at all.

#7 ·
I would take it to a dealer that actually values your business. Especially small dealership love warranty work. I don't see it coming from the Intake but HPOP or the other stuff guys have mentioned for sure. Maybe even something with the IPR valve (screwed into the HPOP housing) may not be very common but it does have 2 o rings on it and a hell of a lot of pressure behind it. MILK that warranty for all its worth! Just the time in labor to deal with some of these issue make that warranty worth every penny while you got it!

#8 ·
I would but I bought it used and I don't think I would be able to take it anywhere other than the dealer I bought it from. It just sucks because I feel like they will come up with some reason not to fix it.

#9 ·
It doesn't matter if you bought your truck from a dealer in Alaska, a dealer in Florida will honor warranty work. And as for warranty issues its not up to them to make excuses why not to fix. If it is broken and under warranty part then they must service it under warranty. Even if you have after market add ons there is something called the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act (P.L. 93-637) it is a United States federal law, (15 U.S.C. § 2301 et seq.) Look it up. When you have a warranty the dealer is your ***** not the other way around. You just need to go in there educated because some shady dealers like to try to bounce warranty work for you to pay out of your pocket. That's why I say take it to a dealer that actually wants your business. Especially small ones they are awesome to work with, seems you get more quality service as well. I bought my truck used and not from a Ford dealer at all. And in travels I had warranty work done at many different dealers. With and 8in lift 37's and a lot of aftermarket parts.

#10 ·
Hmm I didn't know you could do that. I bought it from a Chrysler dealer in ny with the lemon law warranty. But from what your saying I could go to any dealer?

#11 ·
So the the oil I weeping from the top of the engine near the turbo.... It's not bad barely any oil but could that mean the turbo is going?

#12 ·
Nope. The only oil leaks from the turbo that you would see externally would be from the drain tube o-rings or the comp section to CHRA seal. The latter never goes, the o-rings seldom leak very much if at all if they haven't been reused or damaged on installation. Internally the turbine oil ring can leak, but that would give you a bit of blue smoke on start-up.

At the back of the engine the intersection of the block, backing plate, and HPOP can leak if the RTV breaks down or the cover loosens a bit. The rear seal weep is most probable, but small weepage is normal. It is annoying, but if there are no leaks or frequent drips I doubt they would replace it. However, they may have to pull the transmission to diagnose and if it is already apart, it doesn't take much time or effort to replace the seal. Ford did come up with a new design to make it weep or leak less. If it is the bed-plate seal, that is a large job and you want that fixed!

#13 ·
It`s a leak ..... no matter how small , go to a good local ford dealer and they should hook you up.

#14 ·
Where is the bed plate seal? The oil residue seems to be directly above th up pipe expansion flange on the turbo side

#16 ·
The bed plate is what your oil pan bolts to.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

#18 ·
Update: it's been back to the dealer and they didn't tell me where the oil was coming from just that they don't think it should've fixed right now. My problem is if it is a hpop leak or main seal and I have to fix myself I don't have the equipment to do it or if it something worse... Anyways there are drips down the right side over the starter then on the oil pan and bell housing. So does anyone think its worth it to tear into it to fix?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.