Coolant bubbling out of degas bottle / no smoke from tail pipe - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 06:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant bubbling out of degas bottle / no smoke from tail pipe

Hi All!

So I've searced for some answers here with no definitive results. My problem is 3 or 4 times per week I find coolant (enough to leave a small quarter sized puddle in the driveway) that has purged out of the degas bottle on my Excursion. Everyone says its the head gaskets but I have no smoke coming out of the tail pipe and no driveability issues. I recently had the truck at a diesel shop that is very reputable for a no start and had the FICM replaced. I asked them to look over the truck and tell me if they saw any other issues and they said everything else was great. I have stock gaskets and bolts, no tune (I only use the SCT in my sig for monitoring). Is there anything else that could be causing this issue? I hear stories of this problem from others who say after having the head gaskets replaced the problem is still there. Any advice or suggestions would be great!!! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 07:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would try a need degas cap and maybe a thermostat. Do you a way to monitor EOT and ECT. i just just found out my oil cooler was plugged causing my truck to run hot and puke coolant.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I tried the new degas cap and it seemed fine for about a week then started again. I heard about the oil cooler issue as well and have just replaced that. Two days later - same puking issue. The interesting thing is is doesn't happen everytime I drive it. I would think if it were head gaskets that it would happen consistently. I do monitor EOT and ECT. After warming up to op temperature the ECT is generally 188 - 190 and the EOT is within 3-8 degrees of that. I also put an EGR delete in place when I did the oil cooler... oh and switched to CAT EC-1 coolant.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:06 PM

Do You have adequate air flow, coolant fan working, adequate coolant flow [water pump]?

There are other overheat potentials besides head gaskets or clogged oil coolers.
Coolant not overfull?
Old 01-31-2013, 08:19 PM

check your coolant level. The new full is the old minimum line. Does your degas bottle have a yellow sticker on it? with new full and min marks?
Old 02-02-2013, 01:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Good call! I haven't thought of the water pump! I have noticed that the rear heat goes cold when sitting still and hot when driving. Always assumed the core was plugged as there was so much crud in the coolant when I did the flush.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah it's got the sticker - I check that regularly. Yesterday I took it to a shop that specializes in ford diesels for a diagnosis. They are gonna diag it on Monday and let me know.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The coolant recovery tanks are famous for splitting on the underside. I am on my third tank in 100,000 miles.

JEMLAW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.