major issues after trip to ford - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 02:18 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
major issues after trip to ford

ok had the truck studded and all the updates done at ford , i supplyed my own coolant and oil . woke up this morning and it was -30 the truck was pluged in all night . went out for a drive and the heat did not work ? then after 10 min or so it started to work again . so i went to a friends house about 30 miles away and noticed the coolant temp was way higher than the oil temp . and it kept rising . the coolant temp 224 oil temp 189 , the truck also made a weird sound like a tuning fork or something to that effect. once i seen the temp rise i stoped and poped the hood no coolant around degas bottel so i opened it and it started to rise and some came out the top then it went back down i also noticed a little coolant resadue on the front fan shroud . what i think happened is i supplied my own coolant and the tech did not read the jug to see it was pre mixed already , i think he added water to it , the reason i think this is bc when i picked up the truck i noticed he overfilled the coolant so i drained some out the stuff i drained out is in a jug in the back of my truck , i lookwd at it today and it was slush ....not good . what do u guys think it could be . and if it did freeze what do u think cracked ? any help or in put is welcome , also do u think ford will cover thios concerding they did the repairs? also half way to ford it poped a new code p0676 glow plug low heat . i never had a problem like this even when the gaskets were bad

Last edited by turbotibbo; 01-29-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 04:44 PM
Premium Member

is it possable to crack the block by freezing the coolant
Old 01-29-2013, 05:51 PM
Premium Member

bump.............
Old 01-29-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotibbo View Post
is it possable to crack the block by freezing the coolant
It's extremely possible, but if it still runs and it's not pouring out coolant or oil (or mixing the two), it's probably not cracked. I would definitely suspect the coolant mix is wrong, but that may not be the only problem. Do you have a way to check the freeze point of the coolant? It's also possible that they didn't use a Vac-Fill when they filled the cooling system, resulting in some air pockets that caused your lack of heat and higher coolant temps. Check the freeze point first, you'll need a hydrometer or a refractometer.

The dealer should absolutely address any damage they may have caused if it was indeed an error during the repair on their part, but they will probably try to find a way to get out of it, just present your case calmly and explain to them what you think the problem is/was. At least one tech in that shop should be able to check your coolant. I always have my refractometer in my box for exactly that reason. Just because you brought your own coolant doesn't mean he get's to skip checking the labels, but some of my flat rate compatriots can get a little sloppy sometimes.

Last edited by spoonfedblue; 01-29-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:23 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonfedblue View Post
It's extremely possible, but if it still runs and it's not pouring out coolant or oil (or mixing the two), it's probably not cracked. I would definitely suspect the coolant mix is wrong, but that may not be the only problem. Do you have a way to check the freeze point of the coolant? It's also possible that they didn't use a Vac-Fill when they filled the cooling system, resulting in some air pockets that caused your lack of heat and higher coolant temps. Check the freeze point first, you'll need a hydrometer or a refractometer.

The dealer should absolutely address any damage they may have caused if it was indeed an error during the repair on their part, but they will probably try to find a way to get out of it, just present your case calmly and explain to them what you think the problem is/was. At least one tech in that shop should be able to check your coolant. I always have my refractometer in my box for exactly that reason. Just because you brought your own coolant doesn't mean he get's to skip checking the labels, but some of my flat rate compatriots can get a little sloppy sometimes.
first of all thanks for taking the time to answer my questions , i am kinda thinking the coolant was mixed with water when it shouldnt have been and now i have a light mix in there and now thats its -30 its turned to slush and mabey its blocking the t-stat ? just a guess tho but i did notice the coolant that spilled out the engine bay was freezing up so i am almost 100 percent sure the coolant was mixed . but after hearing about the chance it might ber air makes me think if thats why i have been hearing that tuning fork sound . i dont know the tech seemed like a nolageable guy and had 27 years as a diesel tech , but mabey he was in a rush or mis read the container .my plan is to get up early before ford opens and be there before any one can touch it and after being in the shop at ford all night it should be thawed out i will start it up and check for leaks if there are no leaks and it runs good ill change the coolant to the proper mixture . and i dont know why i have a glow plug code now ? p0676
Old 01-30-2013, 07:43 AM
Premium Member

well the ford that i droped my 6.0l off at called me this morning and turns out the rad is cracked along the top , in had them test the coolant and it was good acording to them , good for -37 , so mabey while i had blown gaskets the pressure was too much for the rad and it cracked ? when its all said and done they want 800 bux . i called the ford shop where i had the work done and they offered to tow it there and look it over but if it s not there fault i would probely have to pay for the tow bill and work . ? son of a gun i was hopeing the truck was good forma while after putting that kinda cash in to it . . my wife is getting mad at me bc of all the cash thats goiung in to this rig .
Old 01-30-2013, 08:14 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
First of all you NEVER put 50/50 premix back into your engine after head studs and gaskets or after a flush with distilled water. Your engine retains 2-3.5 gallons of water in the block that you will never get out unless rip the engine out and down. You ALWAYS refill with CONCENTRATE or FULLY FORMULATED coolant on a job like this and top off with 50/50 premix if it get's low at that point. Your best bet is to buy a new radiator from BPD for around $350 I think it is and its fully aluminum no plastic. Put that in, drain your coolant, flush with distilled and then refill with CONCENTRATE coolant.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:29 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
First of all you NEVER put 50/50 premix back into your engine after head studs and gaskets or after a flush with distilled water. Your engine retains 2-3.5 gallons of water in the block that you will never get out unless rip the engine out and down. You ALWAYS refill with CONCENTRATE or FULLY FORMULATED coolant on a job like this and top off with 50/50 premix if it get's low at that point. Your best bet is to buy a new radiator from BPD for around $350 I think it is and its fully aluminum no plastic. Put that in, drain your coolant, flush with distilled and then refill with CONCENTRATE coolant.
i plan on filling with concentrate for sure this time . i had no idea filling with a 50/50 pre mix was a bad thing ? but mabey you are right bc i did a coolant flush and filled with concentrate, 5 months later i did an egr delete and oil cooler rebuild and added the premix, then i got the studs and supplied my own coolant and guess what it was the 50/50 again . do you think it will make it weaker ? mabey the tech at ford had nothing to do with this than ,
Old 01-31-2013, 07:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

3 thread on the same thing? As mentioned previously, buy the new rad. I am surprised the specific gravity, as tested, showed a -37 strength. However, I do know that at 5* above that point you could get ice formation under certain conditions and that super-cooling could have happened due to the radiator effect while driving. Without the thermostat opening to heat the fluid outside of the engine core, it was almost certain to freeze.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.