Is Lucas stop leak a good idea? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 11:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is Lucas stop leak a good idea?

Hey guys a few weeks back I changed my transmission fluid along with both exterior and interior filters wasn't hard to do however I stripped one of my bolts while putting the pan back one and I think it's developing a small leak I don't want to have to drain the fluid again just to change the bolts their kind of old and I read that leaks can be caused by old bolts that might have shrunk so I was just thinking of adding some Lucas stop leak until its time to change again or until I have money to just upgrade my pan would that be a smart move or would I be causing more harm then good by adding this stuff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 12:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Really no response? No one on here has ever dealt with this product?
Old 01-30-2013, 05:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I just got done cleaning this crap out of my cooling system. It took hours! I can tell you that the stuff works and works well, but they will plug up small orfices, filters and coolers, things that should not be plugged. I have no exp with the tranny stuff, but i would tap it and put a bigger bolt in or even seal with silcone.

With all that said, is it an additive with small particles in it to plug holes or is just a seal sweller???
Old 01-30-2013, 07:14 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
ive never used the stuff and ive never taken a tranny apart. but ive seen a tranny apart. dont really understand how all those small passages work but any thing used to plug a hole is sure to plug up those tiny passages. just park on the street untill you get the leak fixed.

bailey
Old 01-30-2013, 07:49 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
NO do not add that to your trans!! the 5r110 is a very pickey trans i would fix it the correct way... cant you replace one bolt at at time or you can re-tap it with the pan on and get a new bolt?? and only use mercon sp from ford
Old 01-31-2013, 09:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I returned the stuff I never put it in I was changing my oil the other day and it was completely dry around the pan no leaks no one responded by then so I didn't even risk it ill just take care of that bolt when I change the pan or when I have to change the filter again whatever comes first but thanks for the input anyway guys I appreciate it.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:22 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighAngleHell View Post
I returned the stuff I never put it in I was changing my oil the other day and it was completely dry around the pan no leaks no one responded by then so I didn't even risk it ill just take care of that bolt when I change the pan or when I have to change the filter again whatever comes first but thanks for the input anyway guys I appreciate it.
Good, Never add anything to your oil especially a "leak stop".
Old 02-03-2013, 05:39 PM
Premium Member

Re: Is Lucas stop leak a good idea?

Consider this, how does ANY stop leak know the difference between a fluid passage and a leak? I had a heater core packed full of that crap in a used car that I bought years ago.

Sent from my LG-VS700 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.