Leaking coolant. Egr/ oil cooler? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 12:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Leaking coolant. Egr/ oil cooler?

The other day I noticed small pool of coolant under pass side. Can't see any signs of coolant from the top of block, only signs are coolant on the frame by my pass side tire. Start ripping her apart and it looks like I have a puddle on the oil cooler...( ill try putting some pics up soon ) I've decided to take egr cooler out and replace oil cooler. Now my question is do I have the correct steps to doing this job. Remove cacs, oil/fuel filter housing, alternator, turbo, than wiring harnesses to injectors?, intake manifold.... Than will I be able to get at my egr and oil cooler. And my last question. But new "upgraded" oil cooler from tousley, and block off egr cooler and leave the old one in, if its not leaking... Or buy a delete kit. I want to do this as cheap and easy as possible.

Thanks in advance
Kollin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 12:22 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Re: Leaking coolant. Egr/ oil cooler?

Read the writeup in my sig, it may help. Any specific questions after that just ask. I was trying to save as much as I could. Good luck, it's not that complicated.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

South end ya fer got the link or at least it ain't showing in my browser.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:54 PM
Premium Member

Fixed it thanks, I guess the chinese finally are taking over the web. LOL. I've been having weird problems with the autoguide app and craigslist app.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

South end. Love the write up wish I would have read that before I started ripping everything apart. Question I removed bolts for oil/fuel filter housing but didn't disconnect two connectors before I did this( one by the bolt in the back of the oil filter side, and another one by the intake) I pulled the housing off and now those connectors are sitting in oil... Safe to disconnect them without ruining them?
Old 01-28-2013, 03:30 PM
Premium Member

Re: Leaking coolant. Egr/ oil cooler?

Thanks and sorry for the late response, you can disconnect them with no harm, QD makes electrical contact and connector cleaner. Don't use anything too harsh, the connectors would deteriorate over time.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Okay southend. got all bolts off my turbo, what a pain in the *** for that back one. I ended up cutting an inch off my 6 point 10mm wrench and cutting a small notch, and used a pry bar to push the wrench. Got pass side clamp loose. Driver side clamp is disconnected, but can't get that one loose... Any ideas? I'm assuming that's what is keeping the turbo from coming out.

By the way it's been single digits outside for this project. Not fun
Old 01-30-2013, 10:59 AM
Premium Member

If you can get a long pry-bar or long screwdriver near the lip and if required, hit it with a hammer to break it free. You can then reach from the top and back with a smaller flat blade to pry up the other side. Don't forget to flip over the v-band clamp or you will find it even more of a pain on the installation. If you forget, it is easier and faster to remove the turbo than to try and remove/flip the v-band clamp in place!

I just installed my new turbo and I forgot how much of a PITA is is to pull and re-install the turbo! As well, for an easy install, make sure you leave the exhaust manifold to up-pipe bolts loose for the turbo install. The turbo oil drain-tube can be a pain as well if it moves from the correct position when trying to set the turbo in place. Make sure it is seated in the HPOP cover with the support V-bracket above the pedestal before you get the turbo close to the correct position. A lot of people don't put in the back turbo bolt. I did, but promptly knocked off the socket head and bolt into the back of the valley. There is no way to get it without an inspection camera to find it and a flexible magnet to retrieve it. Of course, I spent 15 minutes trying to find the flexible reach magnet!

My best helper was my 20x30 ft tarp folded up laying across from the passenger side battery over the rad and fan shroud. It was actually quite comfortable laying on it in many different positions.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks! I got the turbo out... Huge mouse nest under it, not cool. Also found a sticker on my turbo saying it was remanufactured. Something to worry about? Sorry if these questions seem dumb, but I just turned 21 not knowing much about engines, especially diesel. I really appreciate everyone's input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.