What's wrong with my 6.0????? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 09:14 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What's wrong with my 6.0?????

Ok 1st, I'm a newbie to the site, lurked around a few times and with all the knowledge I've gained... more then I could ever imagine from all the wonderful folks here I'm more confused than ever.

I've read all kinds of horor stories about all kinds of troubles/problems that would/could/should scare the hell out of anyone who owns a 6.0.
The bullet proof, delete this and that etc. Holy Crap!!!

Anyway... here is my story and hopefully someone else has had a simular experiance...

I now own a 2004 E-350 extended van, STONE COLD STOCK... no mods... no nothing, stock as it came from Ford which I purchase from my company as it was my work van from day one. It has 230+K miles, I know all the history of the van and my biggest problem has been rear axle bearings, as I hauled over 10k GVW (found out my 350 had a 250 rear end/axle)... the engine had 1 problem under warranty and was 'fixed' at the dealer with a flash. Had another issue with wire chaffing from the steering wheel harness being too short as was told by the ford dealer.
This van WAS a daily driver unless sitting at an airport for a week or 2. But now with my new current Sprinter van (love&hate the sprinter)... my E-350 sits parked until I need it to pull our motorcycle trailer or to haul something, it is not uncommon for it to sit weeks/months w/o use.
When my work truck I would basically have the oil changed every 8-10k miles (mostly highway, interstate miles) and the fuel filters... but nothing more, no radiator flushes, transmission flushes etc. just diesel, oil and windshield wash fluid... this truck has never let me down!
So last yr the thermostat went open... replaced all good. So not using the van many times I go out and try to start it and it barely cranks and need to charge the batteries, I've had to do this several times... and it fires right up and good to go. The last time this happened I noticed smoke and found the alternator siezed and cooked my serp. belt. So now this is my only major problem... the alt. & belt which in a van is a royal PITA and will wait till the weather breaks till I tackle this project outside.
Got some major help from some of you on this site as to tackle the job... Thanks! and have since found a '04 E-350 service & electrical manuals on ebay... what a world of knowledge and more then I'll ever need but I always like to have service manuals for stuff I own.

Anyway... now I'm concerned about my FICM, trying to start the van w/ just about dead batteries? This is the first I've heard of any problems with low battery voltage... and oil cooler, EGR problems etc.
I don't have a ton of money to put into this vehicle and perhaps should have kept my other work van '97 chevy 6.5 TD instead of selling it to my brother for $600, but I loved the features of the Ford w/ power everything, 5 speed elect trans etc.
I didn't read too deep into the 'bullet proof' your 6.0 as there is no room to work on the engine in a van and my 6.0 seemed bullet proof from the factory.
I do have some cheap code reader that I can see the ECT etc. and codes, everything seems fine... but that was months ago before I really started reading this site and I'm like holy crap... should I sell it... is it gonna die?
I'm gonna fix it and get it back online... then I will take more of a notice while I'm driving it.

But since I have to pull the radiator or drain it anyway... would you flush the coolant once I get it back together w/ VC-9? My concern is after 230k miles stuff could brake loose and clog the oil cooler and make thing worse then if I just leave things as they are.
I'm gonna check all the pulleys and tensioner etc. for wear and have no problem replacing those if needed while I have everything apart & open.
Is there anything else I should look for while I have everything apart... anything that you'd replace as I don't want to pull this thing apart again after the fact.
Again my main reason for the post is to say this (my) 6.0 has been a GREAT ENGINE out of the box from Ford... I mean 230+k miles hauling over 10k lbs for 7yrs w/o any major trouble make me give it
I think I read someone posted on a thread that the E series engines where 'de-tuned' over the F series??? I don't know, I just figured it was the same engine regardless what Ford stuck it in???
This is a great site! thanks for all the help and knowledge!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 09:45 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Yes the econolines are detuned. An F-series 6.0 of that year runs 325 hp and 560 torque. An E-series is rated at 235 hp and 440 ft/lb torque. Being that the engine bay is so confined a detune was a must. Heat is already a major issue on these things and it's why there are certain problems specific to econolines that f-series don't have.

230k with no issues is uncommon, I hate to say it. I wouldn't waste the time flushing it at this point(it's already made it that far without issue). I would flush the radiator out of the vehicle but don't put chemicals into the cooling system.

edit- where are you located by the way?
Old 01-27-2013, 01:40 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinner6.0L View Post
Yes the econolines are detuned. An F-series 6.0 of that year runs 325 hp and 560 torque. An E-series is rated at 235 hp and 440 ft/lb torque. Being that the engine bay is so confined a detune was a must. Heat is already a major issue on these things and it's why there are certain problems specific to econolines that f-series don't have.

230k with no issues is uncommon, I hate to say it. I wouldn't waste the time flushing it at this point(it's already made it that far without issue). I would flush the radiator out of the vehicle but don't put chemicals into the cooling system.

edit- where are you located by the way?
Thanks once again for your insite Matt

Perhaps the de-tune is what has prolonged the life of my 6.0, the company has a few more of these vans running around the country w/o any major problems that I've heard of... the Chevy 6.5 we had a fleet of, prior to the Fords and it was like clockwork to replace the fuel injector pump every 100k miles, till chevy or someone realized it was the electronic injector module that they bolted to the injector pump (they thought the fuel would cool the module) that failed due to heat & once you bought a extension cable & mounted it on a heatsink away (fenderwall etc) from the injector pump... that 6.5 engine ran like a clock... again in a van anyway, sold it w/ 265+k miles & brother is still using it.
We have since went with the Freightliner/MB/Dodge Sprinter vans and I'm not impressed in the least... except when I go to the MB dealer for a $350 oil change and I'm treated like royalty with a fully stocked lounge w/ breakfast/lunch menus/fresh fruits along with all kinds of fancy drinks, carbonated waters, gourmet coffees/teas etc. etc. & the 72" widescreen, leather recliners & sofas, regulation pool table, pinball machines & loaner laptops make it for a nice 4+ hour oil change.
I see Ford is coming out with a new 2014 Transit van: The New 2014 Ford Transit Commercial Van | Innovation In Design & Engineering | Ford.com to rival the Sprinter & can't wait to see how they hold out as I'd rather go with a Ford just because Ford dealers are everywhere... the closest MB/Freightliner dealer who will work on the Sprinter is over 1 hour away... like Victory Motorcycles... none close by... a major concern when your vehicle makes money.

We are in an agreement of not flushing with chemicals... as I figured it just loosen up all the crap that is in there and clog it up where it's not suppose to be.
I'm located northwest NJ on the PA border near Easton/Allentown, PA The van (at that time) ran from MA to VA for work and as said 90% of the time I'm on a interstate going 65-75mph... very rearly the van is used around town i.e. Soccer Mom style... not sure if that has contributed to its longivity??? Now it sits till I need it... perhaps I should fire it up everyweek or so and run it.
But I just felt I needed to post how I haven't seen or been exposed to the troubles I've seen posted here... THOUGH I am worried about the FICM after trying to start the van several times w/ low voltage & I will NOT let that happen again... now that I know... like I said... my 6.0 seems bullet proof out of the box!
Yet I dread having to replace the serp. belt with all the work involded compared to the way the engine sits in the pickup. Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.