6.0 Blowing White Smoke, no other symptoms - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-27-2013, 07:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Royersford, PA
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 Blowing White Smoke, no other symptoms

I have a 2004 F250 with the 6.0. Just rolled around to 40,000 miles this week. Everything stock. Only mod is for high idle. A few weeks ago it started blowing white smoke when cold, more than the usual. I took it in and they found 2 fault codes, one was a general FICM code, and the other was a turbo underboost code. The FICM code was for out of date software so they reprogrammed it. Then they took off the entire intake and turbo and disassembled it to find that it was very sooted up. So they cleaned it and remounted it. I also had them do an oil change to synthetic 5W-40. Truck ran great up until a few days ago. Started smoking excessively and even have fluid dripping out of the exhaust, which clears up after driving for ten minutes or so. This morning I touched and sniffed the fluid. It had a consistency of water and was odorless. When I accelerated it blew a lot of the smoke then cleared up. When stopped again same thing and eventually dicipated by the time I got to my destination. When it blows the smoke it seems to be underpowered until the smoke clears up. When I got to work this morning I let it sit for an hour and went to check under the hood. No oil loss, no coolant loss. I'm stumped. Let me know your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 01-27-2013, 07:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New Fairfield CT
Posts: 1,042
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to kendallcschm
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzle42187 View Post
I have a 2004 F250 with the 6.0. Just rolled around to 40,000 miles this week. Everything stock. Only mod is for high idle. A few weeks ago it started blowing white smoke when cold, more than the usual. I took it in and they found 2 fault codes, one was a general FICM code, and the other was a turbo underboost code. The FICM code was for out of date software so they reprogrammed it. Then they took off the entire intake and turbo and disassembled it to find that it was very sooted up. So they cleaned it and remounted it. I also had them do an oil change to synthetic 5W-40. Truck ran great up until a few days ago. Started smoking excessively and even have fluid dripping out of the exhaust, which clears up after driving for ten minutes or so. This morning I touched and sniffed the fluid. It had a consistency of water and was odorless. When I accelerated it blew a lot of the smoke then cleared up. When stopped again same thing and eventually dicipated by the time I got to my destination. When it blows the smoke it seems to be underpowered until the smoke clears up. When I got to work this morning I let it sit for an hour and went to check under the hood. No oil loss, no coolant loss. I'm stumped. Let me know your thoughts.
to me it sounds like your egr cooler is leaking, i would pop out the egr and check if its gunked up.. or steam boiled clean... if it is then you definitely a cracked EGR. IMHO get an EGR delete kit and just get rid of the crap system
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 01-27-2013, 07:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Royersford, PA
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have been looking into the EGR delete kit, but I'm not sure what all is involved
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 01-27-2013, 07:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New Fairfield CT
Posts: 1,042
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to kendallcschm
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzle42187 View Post
I have been looking into the EGR delete kit, but I'm not sure what all is involved
here:
http://www.mkmcustoms.com/mkmcustoms...structions.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 01-27-2013, 12:29 PM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 5,199
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Re: 6.0 Blowing White Smoke, no other symptoms

Read the writeup in my sig, that might help. It's not difficult.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 01-28-2013, 11:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Royersford, PA
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
well the verdict is in.. was the EGR cooler..... and unfortunately none of the mechanics around here will do the delete for me... so i'm forced to do the repair...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 01-29-2013, 06:31 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 645
Thanks: 32
Thanked 19 Times in 10 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Re: 6.0 Blowing White Smoke, no other symptoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzle42187 View Post
well the verdict is in.. was the EGR cooler..... and unfortunately none of the mechanics around here will do the delete for me... so i'm forced to do the repair...
Probably for the better. You will save some cash and know it's done correctly. Plenty of help and write ups on the .org
Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors