My list of problems. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 04:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
My list of problems.

I posted a thread earlier about my temps being low on my ect but I figured I had better just post all the issues Im having and hopefully I can get some info on where to start.
1-Rolling starts when its below 35 degrees outside. I already load tested batteries and ficm tests out great never dropping below 47.5 volts and the logic side never below 12. Also on the cold mornings when my temps are reading 35 or below it will smoke a white haze out the tail pipe for about 30 seconds or so it seems untill it warms up a bit more. Im suspecting stiction because once it warms up a bit it has no problem starting again.

2-Running temps never get above 180 although I do beleive I have this narrowed down to the thermostat being stuck open.

3-I cant get my heater to work very well unless the truck is at the 180 ect.
It wont blow very hard either on the highest setting it seems like it only blows like its on the lowest. I have checked the gates and they are opening and closing as they should. When I switch it over to the ac it blows very hard. This one has me stumped. Is it common for heater cores to go out?

Any help is greatfully appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2013, 04:29 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The low amount of heat could be attributed to the thermostat being stuck open. I would replace that first and then go from there.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:07 PM
Premium Member

You should have very good heat at 150* or better. You have a partial blockage in the core or your coolant valve (engine bay, passenger's side, over the valve cover, just behind the intercooler tube) is not fully opening.

Definitely a thermostat starting to fail, but not a great concern unless it is getting colder.

It is smoke, not water vapour, correct? The white haze is probably unburned fuel from an initially dead cylinder - stiction not fully closing. It could also be related to a dead glow-plug, but that should throw a code, but not always. That would cause the roll (lope, rough running). When that cylinder finally lights, you probably get a burst of black smoke and it runs a little better.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:40 PM

I just ran out and checked for codes and it did pull up a glow plug circuit failure on cylinder 6. So I'm assuming that would be the white haze. It is pretty cold out we've been 16 says straight where it hasn't been about 20. So the sooner I can get the heater figured out the better. I checked the valve under the hood and it seems to be opening and closing alright. So I'm assuming now its my heater core. So i will get that ordered and hopefully it fixes the issue there.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:59 PM

You will get some white smoke, unburnt fuel when it's cold and u are running a tune like looney. Should go away very quick though, if it doesn't, then it might be something else.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:05 AM
Premium Member

Even with a Looney tune it should not have leftover or over-fueling at start-up anymore than even a stock tune, unless the injector tips are leaking.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:21 AM

I hope not i can't afford to change out injectors right now.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:40 AM
Premium Member

Re: My list of problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoicebergs View Post
Even with a Looney tune it should not have leftover or over-fueling at start-up anymore than even a stock tune, unless the injector tips are leaking.

My truck does it on high HP tunes but I have two glow plugs not running.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 01-27-2013, 07:42 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to kendallcschm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumppy View Post
I hope not i can't afford to change out injectors right now.
for your injector sticking i would try archoil or rev-x and that should clear it up over a short time if it isn't too bad! I would replace the T-stat now just to rule that out as a problem for your heat.. not having good heat is a sign of head gasket/EGR cooler failure as well, as exhaust gases get into the coolant and rise up to the heater core and the gases can't heat the heater core coils properly.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:08 AM

Im hoping that its not head gaskets either lol i deleted the egr system about 6 months ago. Would the rev x help if the injector tips are leaking? I can't find a store that sells it so i guess i will have to order it online. If it is the head gaskets how much do you think i would be into it if i did the work myself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.