I think I have been had - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-25-2013, 08:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs down I think I have been had

Ok, so here's the story. Two weeks ago I noticed I was having problems with my 2004 F350. It seemed to be lacking power.

I posted on here looking for advise. So I reached out to some people to see if anyone knew of a shop that would work on my truck. I located one close by my house so I drove it down there and talked with one of the mechanics. After a quick chat about that was going on he believed the "knew" what was wrong. He thought it was one of the inter cooler boots. So they replaced the boot, took it for a drive and still acting the same.

So they decided to run a few "test" to see what was going on. So they first believed the injectors were bad, 5 of them. Next they thought it was the turbo, so they decided to check them both out. Much to their surprise there was nothing wrong with either of them.

So after working this over they come to the conclusion the the FICM is bad, sure enough it is. Apparently the batteries went bad and they were still strong enough to turn the truck over but not strong enough to supply power to the FICM.

So they replace the FICM and take the truck up to the local Ford dealer to have it flashed. Ford does their thing the shop picks the truck up and drive it back to their shop, the tech who drove it back said all was good, not power problems, ran it at full throttle down the interstate. No issues. Parked it at the shop, didn't bother to pug it in or put anything in the tank, just parked it outside and called it a day.

So this is Monday, last week which happened to be the coldest day of the week -30. So they said they started the truck up and it ran for about 20 minutes and it dies so they start it up again and let it run for another 20 minutes and take it on a test drive, make it to the end of the block and it dies completely.

So they bring it back to their shop and put some Diesel911 in the tank and let it sit in the warm shop overnight. The next morning they go to start it and nothing. So they check the fuel pump relay, its ok. There is power to the pump, go to check the pressure at the pump and nothing.

So long of the short between Monday and Wednesday my fuel pump "dies". Now this just happens to be the coldest week here and they claim it died?

I feel as if I have been taken for a ride here, I feel its a little coincidental that the pump dies after sitting outside for an extended period of time without any fuel treatment.

Perhaps I'm overreacting but something seems fishy.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 01-25-2013, 08:59 AM
ADMIN AND TECH


 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: winston salem north carolina
Posts: 9,242
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
how many miles are on this pump?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 01-25-2013, 09:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 99
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
But the fuel pump was bad, correct ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 01-25-2013, 09:07 AM
Premium Member



 

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 17,984
Thanks: 74
Thanked 118 Times in 109 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
You're being taken for a huge ride buddy!!!
I would not let them touch it anymore!

The first sign of being taken for a ride was the guessing of the turbo and 5 bad injectors... That clearly means they have no idea how to check/diagnose the truck.
For some reason I'm doubting it is the fuel pump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 01-25-2013, 09:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

 

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Palmetto, Ga
Posts: 3,395
Thanks: 1
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Agreed do u know wht kinda test were done Nd what they used to test it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 01-25-2013, 10:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 99
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just wondering cause I have heard that the injectors can take a dump, on a 6.0, if a guy gells up the fuel.

Last edited by 95powerstroke5spd; 01-25-2013 at 10:11 AM. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 01-25-2013, 10:22 AM
Premium Member



 

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 17,984
Thanks: 74
Thanked 118 Times in 109 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I think I have been had

I've never heard of that!
It's either a rumor or a VERY rare issue


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 01-25-2013, 10:35 AM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 5,201
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Re: I think I have been had

You've been had, i'd be surprised if the fuel pump is bad, and not just another geuss. The warning signs are there. Ford manual says to plug in the block heater at -10, iirc. I personally thought that was too low, but i'd have to check again.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 01-25-2013, 12:37 PM
Premium Member

 

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Oakbank, Manitoba
Posts: 3,020
Thanks: 6
Thanked 83 Times in 77 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by southend View Post
Ford manual says to plug in the block heater at -10, iirc. I personally thought that was too low, but i'd have to check again.
That is what they say. It's probably for the EPA points. But everything on the truck needs to be operating 100% or it probably won't go. As many know, short trips with multiple start cycles will make the batteries pretty useless at those temperatures unless they are near full charge.

It is possible your fuel had some water in it and that could have created the fuel pump's problem, but that isn't the shop's fault. Same for fuel gelling, you live in MN, you should have good winter diesel. If you're not sure, you should be adding fuel conditioner with anti-gel properties.

Some problems can be masked by others. If they don't have all the kit or knowledge to track problems down, a lot of parts could be thrown at it. Sometimes the parts might be needed to rule out a problem. However, the shop should be able to test the simple things for rough running (FICM, HPOP pressure, fuel pressure, EGR, and perhaps the turbo) and do a contribution/balance before moving to parts. Whether you were taken for a ride, depends on how they proceeded. From what you are saying, there may have been more guessing than following the bouncing ball. You need to find out what tests were done and in what order. That is the only way to determine if you were over-charged or taken for a ride.

Last edited by twoicebergs; 01-25-2013 at 07:26 PM. Reason: clarity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 01-26-2013, 10:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95powerstroke5spd View Post
But the fuel pump was bad, correct ?
Well they replaced the pump after they had the FICM Replaced and Reflashed by Ford, the tech who drove it home said it ran great. So my guess is no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six0~Stroker View Post
You're being taken for a huge ride buddy!!!
I would not let them touch it anymore!

The first sign of being taken for a ride was the guessing of the turbo and 5 bad injectors... That clearly means they have no idea how to check/diagnose the truck.
For some reason I'm doubting it is the fuel pump.
Yeah I was a little shocked when I was first told that 5 of my 8 injectors were bad, kinda made me wonder how I was able to start it and drive down the road at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southend View Post
You've been had, i'd be surprised if the fuel pump is bad, and not just another geuss. The warning signs are there. Ford manual says to plug in the block heater at -10, iirc. I personally thought that was too low, but i'd have to check again.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
I was thinking the same thing. I plug the truck in every night and have since it got down to the mid 20's. I allow it to warm up for at least 10 minutes before going anywhere. I was a little surprised to hear that hey didn't have it on the heater at all. Considering that this is a predominantly heavy truck shop, you'd think that would have been common practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoicebergs View Post
That is what they say. It's probably for the EPA points. But everything on the truck needs to be operating 100% or it probably won't go. As many know, short trips with multiple start cycles will make the batteries pretty useless at those temperatures unless they are near full charge.

It is possible your fuel had some water in it and that could have created the fuel pump's problem, but that isn't the shop's fault. Same for fuel gelling, you live in MN, you should have good winter diesel. If you're not sure, you should be adding fuel conditioner with anti-gel properties.

Some problems can be masked by others. If they don't have all the kit or knowledge to track problems down, a lot of parts could be thrown at it. Sometimes the parts might be needed to rule out a problem. However, the shop should be able to test the simple things for rough running (FICM, HPOP pressure, fuel pressure, EGR, and perhaps the turbo) and do a contribution/balance before moving to parts. Whether you were taken for a ride, depends on how they proceeded. From what you are saying, there may have been more guessing than following the bouncing ball. You need to find out what tests were done and in what order. That is the only way to determine if you were over-charged or taken for a ride.
I agree that yes, there were quite a few things that could have lead to to the demise of my fuel pump but the story I had. Truck was taken to ford to have the FICM flashed, Driven home with no problems. Truck is parked no heater, no anything. Next morning they go to give it the final inspection they let it run for 20 minutes. The truck dies. Right there something should have been like a light turning on. But instead they started it again and it runs for 20 or so, they go to take it on a test ride and it dies completely, has to be towed back to the shop. It isn't until then that they put Diesel911 in the tank. Set it inside over right and lone and behold the pump is "Dead". I'm not saying that it couldn't have been weak or on it's way out, but the timing and situation point at a more likely case. Fuel gelled they attempted to run the truck on something that was thick as snot, and that pump burned out trying to pump it.

So thanks for all the responses on all this, just making sure I wasn't over thinking this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors