Heating Issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 08:29 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Heating Issue

I have an 05 6.0 f250 and my interior heat is not working right. it takes forever to get any heat. coolant level is right. I've got hot hoses going to the heater core but the return line is cold. So my question is there a chek value or therstat in the heater core area? It is related to a flow issue thru the heater core. Any Ideas? Thanks Guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 09:04 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Re: Heating Issue

Some truck have an inlet valve, thats it. From what I hear, the heater core is easy to change. Sounds like it's clogged. I would install a monitor to check the oil cooler, and a coolant filter.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

heater valve near the oil fill can fail
Old 01-23-2013, 09:09 AM

is that the value that has the vac line going to it? Can you just bypas it with a piece or straight pipe?
Old 01-23-2013, 09:13 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Most of the 6.0's have the inlet valve that southend is talking about. It is supposed to close when you turn the Max A/C on, so theoretically there will be no way for any heat to drift through the heatercore and into the truck. If you look on the heater hoses you cant miss it, it is pretty large and has 1 vaccuum line running to it. If you have it I would delete it first and see if it is stuck closed causing no or little water getting to heater core. All you need to do is go to the local parts store and get a metal barb hose coupling, IIRC its 5/8", and some vaccuum line caps. Cap the vaccuum line and put the coupling in. It will cost about $10 and 10 min to do. If that doesn't work you can move on to the heater core.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using AutoGuide App
Old 01-23-2013, 09:20 AM

I'm getting some heat out of it now and then but mainly when the engine is running higher rpm's (more pressure) then let it idle it goes back to cold. I can grab the two hose where it hooks to the heater core and one is hot and the other is cold. To me it seems like the heater core is clogged but I've never had one clog up. Does that happen? coolant is clean but I've never flushed it. Truck has 175K miles now. I believe someone before me did and egr delete I pull the egr value and it's clean as could be. If it's the heater core is that hard to change out? Thanks
Old 01-23-2013, 09:24 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Just shine a pen light down into the valve and move the actuator. You'll see in thirty seconds if its working. The valve fails open.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:27 AM

As I stated above if the valve is stuck half or 3/4 closed you will get some heat when the water pump is at full efficiency. The reason I am harping on this is because I believe in starting at the cheapest/easiest point that could be the problem. It is your choice but I wouldnt start at the $100/2 hr job when the $10/10 min job could be the problem.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:29 AM

Ok I'll pull it out and look at it and just by pass it and then move to heater core I call parts store they will have a heater core for me today in a few hours so if i need to replace I'll have all the parts i may need. I see they say that the heater core uses 3/4 quick disconnects??? I had to get some plastic rings when I worked on an a/c unit one time is thst the tools that I may need or how do the hose unhook? thanks for the info
Old 01-23-2013, 09:31 AM

Also if you do delete it make sure that you use a metal fitting. It is close enough to the turbo that it will melt a plastic/pvc fitting. I know this from experience. The plastic one lasted about 10 miles and water was going everywhere because the heat from the turbo had melted it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.