blue smoke, hard start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 06:27 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluedemon6.0
blue smoke, hard start

I have a problem with my 04 psd. I have been having a hard start condition since the temp. Droped outside. Checked for codes and I had 3 bad glow plugs. I replaced glowplugs still failed so I disconnected glow plug module and isolated to bad harnesses. Replaced r/h side and no change still failing so I figured maybe glow plug module or pcm. Then today leaving the gym I turned the key and nothing I mean I had 12v from battery, 48v ficm. The engine did not turn over until the 3 rd try, so I figured loose battery connection. I got it started and drove her home. I cleaned both batteries, I just had the batteries load tested and they were good and alternator about a month ago. I get everything back together and she starts right up but she is pouring blue smoke for a coulpe of minutes. I had to go to work so I have not gotten any further. She runs and idles great just blue smoke and a hard start. I just put new fuel and oil filters in and t6. I think I have a bad injector. Can unplug the injectors one by one to see which or if any help? Any thoughts or suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 09:46 PM
Premium Member

Re: blue smoke, hard start

Do you have a ccv reroute? Are your eot and ect temps within a degree or so of each other prior to cold starup?

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:48 PM
Serving Our Country!

No CCv rerout. Temps are within a degree cold.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:09 AM
Serving Our Country!

Got a little update. I came home last night it was about 31* and to start her and she started up but she didn't want to. It sounded like it had it had fluid in one or two cycl. and smoked bad again.
I got up this morning and before i drove the truck to the dealer i returned her back to stock, I still have not cranked the truck this morning. When I went to start the beast to take it to the dealership much to my surprise she cranked right up, very light smoke went away quick though. It was 34* this morning.
My thoughts are that I have a bad injector and Vivian's "looney" makes it more noticeable. Anybody experienced this same scenario? Maybe Vivian tune needs to be reworked? I like the tune, lots of power, just to smoky for me. Thanks
Old 01-23-2013, 10:59 AM
Serving Our Country!

Update #2. Went out to start the truck to head to work. It would not start again, this time my voltage dropped to 8v. Finally got her turned over and drove the truck to advanced auto. I had the load test both batteries, check the starter, and alternater. Turns out that I had a bad battery and everything else was good. So maybe that was my problem all along?

Sent from my PG06100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 01-23-2013, 12:08 PM
Premium Member

That would definetly screw things up. I always watch my batt voltage while cranking, it's a habit. You need to replace the batts in pairs unfortunately, with these trucks anyways.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:10 PM
Serving Our Country!

I would replace both of them but they replaced the battery under warranty. I bought both batteries about 11/11 so less than 18 months. Thanks for the reply.

Sent from my PG06100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.