Another one puking coolant - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 10:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another one puking coolant

Hello all,

I purchased my 2003 6.0 in Aug.-Sept of 2012. It's a 4x4 dually with now 50,000+ miles. Before I bought it I read a lot here on what to look for, do, etc and I bought it without hooking up a monitor. So with that being said here are my problems and my history with the truck.

On the test drive I drove the you know what out of it making the sales person a little nervous I presume, but, it showed no visual issues I had read about. I thought ok, I'll buy it, get an extended warranty, monitor and wait for some problems.

The truck has run great until recently. My ECT and EOT temps have been getting more than 15* apart and puking coolant. ECT stays around 180-190 while the EOT can hit 215. I have seen more than 20* difference on the freeway at 75 mph. It never gets more than 15* apart off the freeway. The truck had 45,000 miles on it when I bought it and I recently changed the oil. (15w-40 conventional supposedly formulated for diesels and a motorcraft filter). I was seeing my issues before changing the oil. I was just hoping. So now I have to take it in this week and want to be sure that where ever I take it isnt B.S.-ing me. This is my first 6.0 and only have reading knowledge from everyone here.

Another issue that has just come up is upon cold starts. I have read the stickys. It really has an issue starting on cold days if its not plugged in. If its plugged in it starts just fine. I have got codes referencing the glow plug control module and a p1000 code which I really have know idea what it is. The other day I had it parked all day in front of a customers house I am working on (not plugged in) and when I went to leave it took me 5-10 min to get it started with clouds of smoke while turning it over. Eventually it did start and it turned up the glow plug code and also a crankshaft position sensor open code. After it warmed up a bit it drove great down the road. And my FICM reads about 47.5-48.5.

Like I said I am new to these. I am just trying to confirm my theories about what my issues are so I feel more knowledgeable when I walk in the dealer or wherever. So give me some sounds like, or ask me some questions on what else I should be looking at.

Thanks to all!

Geoff

Last edited by geoff426; 01-19-2013 at 10:40 AM. Reason: added some more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 06:07 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Re: Another one puking coolant

Your oil cooler is clogged, your egr may me busted causing excessive pressure in the degass bottle. Unfortunately without fixing that first you may not be able to tell if the head gaskets are leaking. To continue to drive it in this condition may damage the head gaskets if they aren't already. For the hard start, you need to monitor ficm voltage while the engine is cold, cranking, and through the driving range. Less than 45v is a sign of failure. Typically the glow plugs are not a huge factor until it gets very cold, unless it gets to 40-50, and none of them are working. I would check for wiring, fuse, and relay issues if you suspect none of them are working. Also load test your batteries and monitor battery voltage while cranking, less than 10v , then your batteries may need replacement.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

re: another one puking coolant

Thank you for the reply Southend,

It is cold here in south eastern Michigan. Have had highs in the 20-30's recently. Gonna be real cold this coming week. High of 14* Tuesday.

But back on point, I will check the voltage while cranking. With the key on, monitor on, not started, I have 48.5 volts. Through driving range it never drops below 47.5. mostly staying around 48-48.5. I watch the monitor more than the road sometimes. I will also look over all the wiring and connections I can see and report back.

As for my puking issue, I assumed it was the oil cooler. I am also assuming that my headgaskets are gone as well. Will I learn anything new by pulling the EGR to look at it and inside? Will I destroy the o-rings upon removal, or can I put it back in without replacing them. If its all carboned up, will a cleaning help? Or if its wet in there, will it confirm anything else? Could my EGR cooler be shot as well? The truck is completely stock.

Im sorry for Im sure the stupid redundant questions, but I appreciate all who know more than me, Thanks again.

I am trying not to drive the truck more than I have to. It is my only vehicle and unfortunately I have to go to work. I have arranged to borrow my boss's van while in the shop.

Thanks

Geoff
Old 01-20-2013, 07:38 AM
Premium Member

Yes, your egr cooler could be damaged, you can pull the egr and see if it is wet inside, and there is a possibility the orings will be damaged from the buildup. But you need to pull it.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff426 View Post
Thank you for the reply Southend,

It is cold here in south eastern Michigan. Have had highs in the 20-30's recently. Gonna be real cold this coming week. High of 14* Tuesday.

But back on point, I will check the voltage while cranking. With the key on, monitor on, not started, I have 48.5 volts. Through driving range it never drops below 47.5. mostly staying around 48-48.5. I watch the monitor more than the road sometimes. I will also look over all the wiring and connections I can see and report back.

As for my puking issue, I assumed it was the oil cooler. I am also assuming that my headgaskets are gone as well. Will I learn anything new by pulling the EGR to look at it and inside? Will I destroy the o-rings upon removal, or can I put it back in without replacing them. If its all carboned up, will a cleaning help? Or if its wet in there, will it confirm anything else? Could my EGR cooler be shot as well? The truck is completely stock.

Im sorry for Im sure the stupid redundant questions, but I appreciate all who know more than me, Thanks again.

I am trying not to drive the truck more than I have to. It is my only vehicle and unfortunately I have to go to work. I have arranged to borrow my boss's van while in the shop.

Thanks

Geoff

You can pull the egr valve and reuse the orings if you are careful (I have several times). Bt they are cheap I'd recommend buying a set to have anyway. I've found the best tool to pull it out is a paint can handle, you know the metal handle that is somewhat horse shoe shaped and connects to the sides of the paint can.

Park the truck nose downhill over night and unplug the egr valve electronics, take out the two bolts, turn it with your hand so that you can use the paint handle to hook onto the two bolt holes in the valve and pull it out (takes a lot of force). Look in the hole it left in the intake and if you see a puddle of coolant then your egr cooler is likely busted open.

Did you buy the extended warranty? If so, I'd just take it in and tell them it's puking and that your eot ect are more than 15 apart. The will prolly replace egr cooler and oil cooler and tell you to try that.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ok, It's cold today but I tried pulling the EGR out. I failed. The paint handle was a clever idea, but my EGR is a bit too stubborn. I tried with a long Snap On pry bar off the top of the alternator. I ended up bending one of the bolt tabs up a little and quit. I guess I will have to leave it to the dealer on Tuesday. If I didn't have this non factory warranty I wouldn't have given up. Im still afraid they may not cover me for some ridiculous reason. But we'll find out later I guess.

As for the FCIM, I watched while cranking and it never dipped from 48.0. The battery voltage on the initial cold start this morning sitting since Friday plugged in the entire time stayed right at 12.0-12.1 while cranking. I shut it off and then tried removing the EGR. After I gave up, I tried to start it again and it didn't catch right away. After cycling the key twice it did fire, but the voltage dropped to around 11.0-11.3 and stayed there for a minute until I am assuming the alternator kicked in. It then came up to 14.1-14.3. It also gave me the p0683 code again for the Glow Plug Control Module communication fault. Is it possible I could have the original batteries still. They say Motorcaft on them but I couldnt find a date. That would make them just shy of 10 years old with my build date of 4/03.

I am assuming the worst, plugged oil cooler, failed EGR cooler, bad EGR, and possibly headgaskets. I appreciate the ideas and suggestions to confirm my suspicions. My plan is to drop it off at a local Ford Dealer on Tuesday and see what they and my warranty company says. I will post what they find...

Thanks

Geoff
Old 01-20-2013, 10:39 AM
Premium Member

Your voltages were normal, the alernator works on starup, the glow plugs just pull it down, which means it looks like the glow plugs are working, the voltages rise when the glowplugs turn off. If you have an extended warrenty you should not mess with it until after they diagnose it.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Voltage is good! Thank goodness something else isn't broken.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:34 AM
Premium Member

Not sure why you would be getting a glow plug controller code. What kind of monitor are you using?

Old 01-20-2013, 11:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yeah that egr valve can be stubborn. I smacked the hood with the back of my hand when it finally "popped" out using my paint can handle....hurt like hell haha. I usually spin it a bunch and pull to loose it up first.

What extended warranty did you buy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.