egr cooler problem? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 10:49 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
egr cooler problem?

Ok..I've had this issue w my rig for a while and I was told the egr cooler is bad..truck starts fine and idles fine..just absolutely hardly any power..my egr valve is wet ..which I know there is a problem there..but would it cause the truck to have no power? When I put the sct tune on it its almost like when I try to accelerate the truck almost shuts off and comes rite back on..almost like a surge..but not a Turbo surge.. I've got a river city diesel egr delete..bpd.ficm..and new bpd remote oil cooler to install in it..I just hope this will fix the problem ..ill let y'all know when the stuff is installed. Just wondering if anyone had a similar problem like this and what they did to fix it. O yea..just had all 8 injectors replaced so I don't.think there is a problem there. I attached a pic of the egr valve hole..
Attached Thumbnails
egr cooler problem?-20130119_131418.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 07:25 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
The no power can definitely come from the EGR cooler being blown and allowing coolant into the cylinder. The items you have purchased should resolve your issue and give you some excellent reliability. Since you are already in there, you might want to consider replacing your head gaskets, confirming your heads are good and getting head studs because that is also common on trucks with blown EGR coolers. Since coolant doesn't compress, that pressure usually ends up escaping through the head gasket. At the very least, you need to test to make sure your head gaskets aren't blown.

Best of luck, buddy and as you probably already know, there are a BUNCH of install threads that can walk you through how to remove and replace this stuff yourself with LOTS of pictures.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Eye View Post
The no power can definitely come from the EGR cooler being blown and allowing coolant into the cylinder. The items you have purchased should resolve your issue and give you some excellent reliability. Since you are already in there, you might want to consider replacing your head gaskets, confirming your heads are good and getting head studs because that is also common on trucks with blown EGR coolers. Since coolant doesn't compress, that pressure usually ends up escaping through the head gasket. At the very least, you need to test to make sure your head gaskets aren't blown.

Best of luck, buddy and as you probably already know, there are a BUNCH of install threads that can walk you through how to remove and replace this stuff yourself with LOTS of pictures.
Yes..I'm planning on studs and head gaskets ..just got all the bpd stuff..now I'm broke but ill test heads and c what's going on b 4 I do install on the bpd stuff.. thing is..I'm not loosing coolant...could a bad egr valve do the same thing? I'm gonna unplug egr valve and c what happens
Old 01-20-2013, 02:10 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Re: egr cooler problem?

Also check your map sensor port and hose connected to the right side manifold.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:10 PM
Powerstroke Techie

a lot of times the goo from mixing coolant and carbon will quickly clog a valve up. an excessive buildup of dry carbon is not too common.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:20 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Re: egr cooler problem?

Dry carbon and oil mist from the ccv is a problem, was on mine.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:01 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:

Shawn I will be helping Matt install all of the new parts on his truck. We are planning on doing it in the near upcoming weeks. . I don't think that he has a ruptured EGR cooler YET. I think the goo in his intake is from 100,000 miles of CCV fumes and oily gasses getting in the intake and it never being cleaned out. The EGR valve didn't look to bad either based on the pics he sent me.

I plan on getting the EGR delete installed along with the BPD oil cooler kit and BPD FICM and then throw my pressure tester on there to see what it does on the cooling side. I also plan on hooking my Dashboss up and seeing what I can find for him before we tear into it. We will keep you guys updated. lol.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:45 PM
Slacker

Good to hear, Bryan. Glad that he has someone like you who knows what's going on to help him out.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Good to hear, Bryan. Glad that he has someone like you who knows what's going on to help him out.
Ya..me too..LOL.. if it wasn't for Bryan I would have got rid of it a few years ago..LOL..he's a great guy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.