stock 06, 125k, CEL p0402, replaced EGR valve and sensor, what now? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 12:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question stock 06, 125k, CEL p0402, replaced EGR valve and sensor, what now?

hello and thanks for viewing, I recently purchased my first Ford. I am counting myself fortunate to have found this 06 KR in good shape for $20k. However I have spent about $350 on a new EGR valve and a new DPFE sensor / EGR valve position sensor, or whatever you call that thing, only to have the CEL keep coming back on. I have scanned the code p0402 for excessive egr flow. Unfortunately I threw away the old EGR valve which was probably still good. When I pulled it out there was only moderate soot build up and there was NO gooey or oily residue. The truck does NOT blow any smoke, except when I first test drove it, and after replacing the EGR valve as it was blowing soot out for a minute. I have replaced the factory coolant cap as a precaution and when money permits I will install a coolant filter.

I am stumped on this CEL and am looking for any help anyone on here can offer, thank you for reading.

EDIT: I have noticed now that there is a light haze of black smoke when I step on it. More noticeable when the CEL is on.

Last edited by BlazerOutback Powerstroke; 01-20-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 01:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Since you have allready replaced the egr & sensor check the wireing and check that the map sensor tube is not plugged and the ebp sensor and tube as well. I assume you have cleared the code and it is still comeing back.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i ran the engine with the ebp sensor out and i could feel exhaust pulsing out. im assuming that means the tube is clear, also the old sensor didn't look very bad, only a light coating of soot inside. i will look into the map sensor but i could use more info, i havent even taken the air cleaner assembly apart yet.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:19 PM

The map is a squarish plastic box mounted on the firewall near the a/c evap& heater lines has a rubber hose runs to a nipple mounted passenge side of intake manifold kinda between the turbo and oil filter houseing. The hose and nipple sometimes plugs o even splits the hose. Can affect pcm fuel strategy. Includes EGR and VGT settings in that strategy. Best I remember.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i removed and inspected the map sensor and the tubing. visually, everything looked fine, the tubing seemed kind of loose to me. those squeeze clamps could be moved by hand. the tube was clear of debris.

after reinstalling everything, i took the truck for a drive. the CEL came back on, and the truck would exhibit a noticeable surge while at constant throttle. codes p0402 again and p0299 turbocharger A low boost. I am concerned that the new ebp sensor is causing the symptoms of the recalled ebp sensors
Old 01-18-2013, 07:44 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluedemon6.0
I thought ebp was disabled on 6.0's I could be wrong. I think your vains are probably sticking. That would explain why you are surging. Mine had the same code after I deleted the egr. Do you have a egr cooler? I'm not questioning your knowledge of the 6.0 but I can tell you that I deleted my egr cooler and kept my egr valve.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i really didn't notice any driveability issue with the p0402 by itself. after swapping the ebp, the truck began surging. yes i still have an egr cooler. i am however planning a delete. i just want to be able to change it back come smog test time.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:55 AM

I had the same symptoms with my truck about a year ago. I only had the P0299 code pulled the turbo and it was real dirty and sticking. Cleaned it and all is better.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedemon6.0 View Post
I thought ebp was disabled on 6.0's I could be wrong. I think your vains are probably sticking. That would explain why you are surging. Mine had the same code after I deleted the egr. Do you have a egr cooler? I'm not questioning your knowledge of the 6.0 but I can tell you that I deleted my egr cooler and kept my egr valve.
I really don't remember if it was the 1st or second reflash that caused the ebp sensor input to be ignored and default settings used, but I do remember it caused more problems than it fixed and a subsequent reflash reenabled the ebp sensor and the pcm began useing actual readings again. Unshure which reflash it was tho.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i am going to youtube how to clean my turbo, i suppose if i have to take it out, i should do something else while im in there. good time for an egr delete?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cel, egr, new member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.