04 6.0 No start (yes looked at the sticky) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 05:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
04 6.0 No start (yes looked at the sticky)

So i drove my truck, well have been driving my truck all the past week all over, no problems at all. I went to the carwash this morning. When I left the house, the truck seemed a little slower to start than normal but cranked up and ran/drove fine. Ran some errands truck was warmed up. Took my truck and dirtbike to the car wash, shut truck off. Got done and I started well tried to start my truck. No luck. Turns over like a bat out of hell but doesn't fire. Checked all my connections goin to the FICM my batteries, etc. It was getting fuel filter isn't clogged and i don't have an idiot light for water in fuel on. Truck has had the piss driven out of it but been mainttained. I got the truck towed home, wouldnt start when cooled off. Figured it might be the FICM, I swapped it out with my wifes 05 6.0 and still no joy on starting the truck. Same thing. No oil is leaking anywere i can see ICP (under the turbo on mine late 03 build), I'm limited to basic tools. I think it's my HPOP. What do you guys think before i take it apart or dump in on the dealership? My truck has 117,5xx miles. Egr Delete, oil cooler rebuilt and fuel spring upgraded. 4inch cat back
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 05:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yeah might be HPOP ... Mine went out and did the same thing, lost power then nothing
Old 01-14-2013, 05:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have no problem doin the work myself, did the other stuff i mostly know my way around the 6.0. I just don't want to shotgun trouble shoot stuff and dump needless money. But with that i could take it to the dealer and spend even more money but they will figure it out and get it runnin and I can still enjoy my leave time. Or i could try replacin the HPOP and well, it still not run. And I'm out of time.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well had it towed to the dealer this morning. They asked if i just did an oil change I told them about 2,000 miles ago when I did my EGR delete and oil cooler. They asked cause it was abnormally squeaky clean still fresh from the bottle (which I have seen to but didnt think anything of it) Long story short, according to the tech, the prime was gone on the oil, so they pullled the filter out, dumped some oil in there, and to my dislike they said they shot some ether in the intake and the truck fired right up. So...$55 dollars later my truck magically runs....I'm just wondering though....How could my High pressure oil system lose a prime?
Old 01-15-2013, 06:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

They don't "lose the prime".The only time there could be air in the system is after a repair is performed that involves removing/replacing a component in the high side oil system.I hate to be the one to tell you,but it's gonna happen again.I work at a Ford dealership and I am a Senior Master Technician,I wouldn't mislead you.I cannot believe they told that.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I know when i put it back together the first time after the oil cooler rebuild, i pinched an o-ring, i took it apart and re did it. I rushed putting it back together, i didnt put much oil down in the valley to keep it from being messy and I didn't pour oil down where the standpipe goes before putting the filter on. Could that have been the problem? The strange thing is though....I have put about 2,000 miles on the truck since then and this happend yesterday. I also used a shop-vac to get the oil out of the valley for the cooler so i could drop my screen and make sure i could see it was seated right. I didn't shove the hose down there or anything and suck out more than i needed to.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

If it's been that long since that repair then it couldn't have caused this to occur.I suspect an intermittently sticking IPR or possibly a bad HPOP.But in my experience,a HPOP is bad or it's fine,never intermittent problems.But IPR's do cause intermittent problems.I recommend you wait to see if the problem reoccurs.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah I'm gonna keep an eye on it. If it does it again, I'm taking it somewhere else. Or I'll replace the IPR myself
Old 01-16-2013, 03:42 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by shane6191 View Post
Well had it towed to the dealer this morning. They asked if i just did an oil change I told them about 2,000 miles ago when I did my EGR delete and oil cooler. They asked cause it was abnormally squeaky clean still fresh from the bottle (which I have seen to but didnt think anything of it) Long story short, according to the tech, the prime was gone on the oil, so they pullled the filter out, dumped some oil in there, and to my dislike they said they shot some ether in the intake and the truck fired right up. So...$55 dollars later my truck magically runs....I'm just wondering though....How could my High pressure oil system lose a prime?
ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME!!! THIS PISSES ME OFF WHEN I HEAR CRAP LIKE THIS THATS WHY IM SHOUTING!! THEY DONT LOOSE PRIME THE OIL drains BACK TO THE CRANKCASE FROM A SCORED FRONT COVER AND LOW PRESURE OIL PUMP!!!! AND ETHER I WOULD HAVE KICKED THERE AZZZZ FOR THAT ONE!!! how unprofessional
Old 01-16-2013, 03:42 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by aclem16 View Post
They don't "lose the prime".The only time there could be air in the system is after a repair is performed that involves removing/replacing a component in the high side oil system.I hate to be the one to tell you,but it's gonna happen again.I work at a Ford dealership and I am a Senior Master Technician,I wouldn't mislead you.I cannot believe they told that.
AGREED 100% THESE GUYS GIVE US A BAD NAME!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.