Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Head Gaskets Again!?!?!? please help!!

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  1fastsvt0816 
#1 ·
hey guys, i wish i was in your area to get my truck looked at/worked on. In the past few weeks ive noticed im losing coolant from the degas bottle. My reason for noticing this is that i blow white smoke out of the exhaust on start up. I hooked up a pressure tester on the coolant system and ran the hose to the cab with the gauge and normal driving im sitting about 10-12 psi and at WOT it goes up to 20ish. I have already on the truck a coolant filter kit, coolant flush done a few months back, new heater core, water pump, and elec fan. About 2 years ago (35k miles ago) i had the truck studded. Do you guys think i have bad head gaskets again!?!?!!??!?? Also, my EOT and ECT deltas are only about 2-5 degrees apart. Im getting worried that i may have to shell out more $ for HG's and studs again. I appreciate your input..

#6 ·
How much coolant are you losing? White smoke on start up doesn't necessarily always mean burning coolant. Does it clear up? Have you changed tunes recently? What all mods do you have done to your truck? (sorry, I can't see your sig picture for some reason, i'm at work)

#7 ·
yeah i posted the issue to PSE on facebook and they are suggesting the HG's also. Here is a list of stuff that has been done to the truck about a year or two ago...
-pure diesel powers 6.0 solutions kit ( i have no clue if it was the one with the OE gaskets or black onyx's
-coolant filtration kit
-new elec fan, water pump, heater core, and thermostat
-the solutions kit included ARP Studs and and EGR delete
-SCT tuner left on economy
-have many other mods but nothing relevant to the problem

Just drove home from work and the coolant pressure gauge was sitting at 15psi cruising and when i would punch it, it would go up to 20psi......idle is 10-12psi

#11 ·
Find out what kind of gaskets were used. If they're Black Onyx gaskets, go ahead and replace them.

What's your coolant level after it's puked? Remember, the new MAXIMUM level of coolant you want is going to be even with the minimum line. These trucks will puke out what they don't want. When you refill it back up, it's going to puke again. What's the level at?

Get OEM head gaskets and reuse your head studs so long as they weren't over torqued the first time and make sure that the heads are taken to a reputable machine shop to be magged, decked, and pressure tested.
I agree. If they're toast, follow Bryan's advice.

#10 ·
Get OEM head gaskets and reuse your head studs so long as they weren't over torqued the first time and make sure that the heads are taken to a reputable machine shop to be magged, decked, and pressure tested.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.