Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Need new ICP Sensor, Ideas

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  JesseKK 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone,
I am new to the site only because I am experiencing my first problems with my 6.0 2003 Ford Crew Cab. I should of joined earlier because I could of saved some money bout a month ago but anyway..
I have had stalling, rough idle, surging, lack of power, and check engine light. I recently brought it to Fullerton Ford in NJ. They told me I needed new batteries, EGR valve and intake cleaning. So I assumed they were the professionals and had it done to the tune of $1200 bucks. I wasnt even in truck for 15 min and check engine light came on. Brought it back and now they tell me I need a new ICP sensor for the tune of $600 bucks and it is a big job. Well after poking around I find out the job can be done in a hour and parts are only about $200 bucks. Any advice from seasoned Powerstroke owners.

#3 ·
Pain in the *** :crazy:! It will take a couple hours if your able to have it on a lift, but even then its very frustrating. Have to go in from the bottom on the back of the engine block, remove the heat shield first (3 bolts) then your able to see it. Then you can unplug it, which once you unplug it try to start your truck and see if it runs, if it is still giving you the same problems, then it is the ICP sensor. To remove the ICP sensor you'll need a socket 1 1/16 and a short piece of 1/4 inch stock works great. Its a tight fit, getting in your arm in there, but 03 is the only year they had it on the back of the engine block!

#4 ·
It sounds like the dealer is throwing parts at it. If it is hard to start it could throw a dtc for low icp pressure. You need a monitor to properly diagnose your problem. Scan gauge works great. Does your truck run? My understanding is if your icp sensor goes out it want start, but I have never had to replace one.

Sent from my PG06100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#6 ·
Ecessive indeed! I had a guy referred to me who works for a unnamed Ford dealership here in NJ and he was able to determine it was the ICP sensor and he laughed when I told him I was told it would take most of the day. He told me to drive to his house and he would have it done in 1 hour. He bought the parts ICP sensor and pigtail from Ford and had it done in 1 hour with lots of talking bull****ting going on. Only charged me $350 bucks. Parts cost about $220. Truck runs awesome and I have found my new mechanic.
Word to the wise.... FULLERTON FORD IN BRIDGEWATER ARE SCAM ARTISTS.
Thanks for all your input guys, this site was a great help with great info and great people.

#8 ·
@Bluedemon the truck started fine but would buck, stall, run rough, and have no power at times. The sensor was pretty easy to fix, just had to take off the coolant bottle and it was pretty much right there. My guy had it done in a hour and we talked through the whole process.

#10 ·
Where is teh ICP on teh 04+ engines ?? :look:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.