Alternator Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 05:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Alternator Question

I have a question for all my fellow powerstroke owners. I have an 03 6.0L and I need to replace the alternator. I cannot figure out which one to get. There is a 120 amp 140amp and a 110amp and a duel or a single. Can anyone point me in the right direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 05:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

First off welcome to the forum. Most would say that you should upgrade to at least the 140. But I guess Id have to ask, do you have alot of electric "toys" on the truck? Lights?Big stereo? Winch? More of these the more juice your gonna need. But Id guess most trucks would be fine running the 140.
I am eagerly waiting to talk to Ed at Ficmrepair.com tommorow so I can order DCPower Alt from him.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:39 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
spoke to ed about the dc ... Dc def. sounds like the way to go if running lots of electronics. (Ed talked me out of purchasing one due to the fact that i didnt need one and am only running factory electronics) To the OP. Look into bullet prrof diesels alternator they sell($163 bucks) and it is "new" not remanufactuered which makes it very reliable and the feedback has been impressive according to them
Old 01-06-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04cr450 View Post
spoke to ed about the dc ... Dc def. sounds like the way to go if running lots of electronics. (Ed talked me out of purchasing one due to the fact that i didnt need one and am only running factory electronics) To the OP. Look into bullet prrof diesels alternator they sell($163 bucks) and it is "new" not remanufactuered which makes it very reliable and the feedback has been impressive according to them
I could use some more BPD bling...... What brand is the alt that they are sellin?
Old 01-06-2013, 06:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the help. I think I am going to with the BPD alternator. I purchased the truck used in August. I figured it would have some issues and I am prepared for that. I'm going to start the bullet proof process very soon. I just have to get some of the basic maint issues first. Thanks Again
Old 01-06-2013, 06:46 PM

Im gonna guess if BPD is sellin it,its gonna be good stuff. Love everything they have sold me so far. I might just be buying one tommorow as well.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:52 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
BPD's alternator is a "new" factory alternator
Old 01-06-2013, 07:59 PM

Thats kinda a bit of a let down....bummer. Oh well looks like DC is pullin back in the lead!
Old 01-06-2013, 08:20 PM

I have the bpd alt right now. My dc power alt was ordered last week. If I had to do it over again, i would have ordered the dc power in the 1st place, but i went with the bpd because they were local and cheaper than the napa remans. the bpd doesn't have a high enough set point to fully recharge the batts while driving. the most i have seen with my scanguage is 14.2 and it is usually around 13.9 steadily
Old 01-07-2013, 04:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I would go with these guys.
Ford PowerStroke 7.3L 6.0L 6.4L 6.7L Diesel High Output Large Case 6G Alternators

I got the 160 amp 6G for my 2005 Excursion. I knew it was a little more, but I talked with others and they suggested this is the way to go. I have had this on for 18 months nows and no problems. I am glad I did it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.