2005 F250 No Crank (Urgent) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 09:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2005 F250 No Crank (Urgent)

I woke up this morning and it was 17 Degrees, Tried to start my truck with no luck. All the bells and whistles come on, batteries should have plenty of juice (Dropped to 11 when glow plugs were warming), but I had no crank.I do not plug the truck in, but from everything I know that should not cause a no crank situation. I should have tried these simple things but I was in a hurry.

History: 90k Miles, Truck has new alternator, Rebuilt FICM, EGR Valve, Fuel Filters / Oil Filters, New Coolant, thermostat - All within the last 2k Miles (Bought it used and tried to go thru it as best as I can without breaking the bank.) The truck has run great once I got the new FICM and Thermostat

I replaced the alternator because Autozone tested my starter, batteries and Alt. a couple of weeks ago (I was trying to avoid this situation, stupid me) and said everything was good but that.

I am going to try these things when I get home, but would like to know what esle to look for.

Things I know to try:

Read the codes
Shift into Neautral / Move Shifter
Tap on the Starter (See if it is locked up)
Try jumping it??? Can I jump it with a car? That shouldnt hurt it at all?
Look for Wires that may be cut

Things I am currious about and dont know how to check:
ICP
IPR

Please help! I would like to fix this without going to the shop because I hate admitting defeat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 02:49 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Very likely your batteries, bad batteries kill ficms real quick. Batteries can hold 12 v and not have enough ampreage to crank. Are you saying it's not cranking, or cranking and not starting? What kind of monitor are you using?

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I am using a Edge CTS Monitor, and I saying it is not cranking at all. I checked all the relays, fuses, tried moving the shifter, and everything else I could find last night. Finally I tried to jump the starter directly and I got nothing. I tested to see if I was getting power from the yellow and blue cable to the starter by lightly touching the back of the starter with a screwdriver and found that plenty of power was making it down.

So I pulled the starter to have it tested again, but this time at Oreillys on there machine (even though it was tested while on the truck at autzone), Low and behold it would extend but not crank. I ordered a new starter and will put it on tonight.

Once that is done I will post if that was my solution.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.