Screen torn/missing under oil cooler! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 03:01 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Screen torn/missing under oil cooler!

In th emiddle of an egr delete and new oil cooler install. Screen under oil cooler housing torn and missing. Where will I find the piece that is missing? Of the 6 panels, one is completely gone.

I'm assuming I'll need to pull th ecover off the hpop for starters...????

I'll work on something else while I wait for everyone's thoughts.....

btw...truck was running fine, preventative maintenance at 172,000 miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 03:37 PM
Banned

Anyone? best guess on where it would go?
Old 01-01-2013, 03:49 PM
Banned

last April previous owner took it to Ford, misfiring on one cylinder. Replaced the fuel pressure regulator (Was reading 35 psi), one injector and dummy plug on passenger side. Related??? Anyone think the pieces of screen went to the bad injector?
Old 01-01-2013, 04:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

First it will get suced into the HPOP and get chewed up and spit out [if your lucky] without causeing any damage and again if your lucky it will get scattered thruout the hp oil system and not jam up in one spot like in a feed port to an injector.

The only saveing grace is if it was an origional screen it is plastic/nylon and grinds up pretty small.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy950 View Post
First it will get suced into the HPOP and get chewed up and spit out [if your lucky] without causeing any damage and again if your lucky it will get scattered thruout the hp oil system and not jam up in one spot like in a feed port to an injector.

The only saveing grace is if it was an origional screen it is plastic/nylon and grinds up pretty small.
Original screen.....and original oil cooler and egr cooler. Taking a close look at it, it's definitely nylon. Time to weigh some options.

A. Assume it's what caused the #3 injector to cease firing....which was replaced last April.....and just continue on with egr delete an doil cooler install.

B. Tear into the HPOP and all the lines......

I hope I don't regret it, but I think I'm going for option "A" above. Looking at the service history Ford printed out, vehicle suddenly started misfiring, warm or cold, no difference. Either the injector totally died or 'something' found it's way there. I'm inclined to think it was a large piece of screen or debris from it. Time will tell I suppose.....
Old 01-01-2013, 04:55 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Done feel like the lone ranger, it happens quite a bit. I believe a fair amount of it will go to the ipr, the ipr screen gets trash shot through it often as well. We get post on here all the time about no start or run and no start after oil cooler r&r. They usually end up having to pull the ipr and replace.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:08 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
it happens constantly, probably every single stock screen out there is torn. Actually I've never seen one fully intact (I've seen the new steel screen torn once too!) The worse i've come across from it is when a bunch of dirt lays in the oil reservoir (let say from a previous repair years ago) and that sudden release of dirt from the screen tearing unleashes onto the IPR screen. Any time I find the IPR screen torn it's a good idea to look at the oil cooler screen for damage also. That's when I found the dirt and it became pretty obvious what happened.

6.0 injectors fail for many reasons, perhaps pieces of oil cooler screen is one cause but I doubt we'll ever know that for sure.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:53 PM

I wouldnt get into the hpop unless your having problems with it. My nylon screen was destroyed when I did the egr delete at 140k, at 160k the ipr screen was pushed in and had quite a bit of nylon covering it... So far no problems with the hpop (knock on wood). So dont be surprised if you have a problem with the ipr down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-03-2013, 08:17 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=ps_lane01;3436650]I wouldnt get into the hpop unless your having problems with it. My nylon screen was destroyed when I did the egr delete at 140k, at 160k the ipr screen was pushed in and had quite a bit of nylon covering it... So far no problems with the hpop (knock on wood). So dont be surprised if you have a problem with the ipr down the road.
QUOTE]

Okay....I don't like having probalems down the road. I like 'peace of mind' and a job half way done bothers me. I've taken the splurge and have ordered a new HPOP with the updated STC installed, along with a new IPR. Ouch, there's another $800. (But think what it would cost to have the dealer do this!) On the plus side, I have to pull the HPOP cover anyway. I have a very minor leak that seems like it might be coming from the back side of that cover. Everything else has been eliminated, except for the rear main seal.

Research on the forums tends to make me think the HPOP's usually go before 200,000 miles.....I'm at 172,000 miles....I believe the level of maintenance severely impacts this.....but to consider the vehicle reliable enough to go 100 miles into the woods, I should change it while I'm in here.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:53 PM

Hey man, more power to ya! Let us know how she runs when you get back together

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.