Faint Sputtering, Vaccum sound under load. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 10:29 PM
Like a boss!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Faint Sputtering, Vaccum sound under load.

Hello. I have a 2006 6.0 F350. When driving slow and steady the engine sounds normal. When accelerating and making the RPM's get 20/2100 and up there is a sound present and cuts in an out. It is sort of a air sound, or like a wet towel being drug accross glass. I am having a hard time explaining it. A friend said it might be a vaccum leak or a clogged air intake. It will do it once in awhile if the cruise is set and I am going up a hill. I am also having the no heat at idle issue also. Maybe 2 related issues. I apologize for the weird description but you all seem pretty darn knowledgeable and probably know what I am talking about already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 10:58 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The only vacuum related to diesels is under the dash for the ac dampers, and the 4x4 if you have esof. With that said, you shouldn't notice a difference with acceleration. Do you have a monitor, is your truck running ok, is your truck creating boost, do you have any smoke, do you have an egr?

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:34 PM
Like a boss!

Quote:
Originally Posted by southend View Post
The only vacuum related to diesels is under the dash for the ac dampers, and the 4x4 if you have esof. With that said, you shouldn't notice a difference with acceleration. Do you have a monitor, is your truck running ok, is your truck creating boost, do you have any smoke, do you have an egr?

Im not using 4 wheel drive when it is making the sound, but maybe 4 wheel drive doesn't need to be engaged to be a symptom. Idn what esof is and will look it up. I don't notice the truck being sluggish even when making the sound, but I also let off the pedal and try to not let the sound be made. The truck is creating boost. When I look at the gauge it is usually around 8-10 and seems to go up and down pretty smoothly according to acceleration/load. No smoke, egr should be there as the truck is stock to my knowledge, I do not have a monitor as I cannot decide which one to get and have only been reading about them for about 24 hours now.

Thanks.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:42 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
ESOF- Electronic Shift On the Fly
Old 12-31-2012, 12:43 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laferty View Post
Im not using 4 wheel drive when it is making the sound, but maybe 4 wheel drive doesn't need to be engaged to be a symptom. Idn what esof is and will look it up. I don't notice the truck being sluggish even when making the sound, but I also let off the pedal and try to not let the sound be made. The truck is creating boost. When I look at the gauge it is usually around 8-10 and seems to go up and down pretty smoothly according to acceleration/load. No smoke, egr should be there as the truck is stock to my knowledge, I do not have a monitor as I cannot decide which one to get and have only been reading about them for about 24 hours now.

Thanks.
Esof, electric shift on the fly. Check to see if your vents only blow through defrost, that would indicate a leak, usually is the esof is engaged. Any monitor is better than nothing, depends on budget. I have an edge cts. Dash guages are basically useless, 8-10 boost if remotely close reading is low. You can check for cac boots loose/torn, exhaust leaks, pull the egr and clean it, check the map sensor hose for clogging, located on the right side of the intake.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:45 PM
Like a boss!

O yeah.... I forgot to add in... and don't hit on me for my mistake but I do not believe I am harming anything and am going to do a full coolant system flush this weekend. I noticed that the coolant bottle we empty and I read all over last night about the no heat at idle causes and I liked the theory about the system being low on coolant would not create enough pressure and such at idle so I stopped and got a bottle of silicate free coolant which is right according to the 6.0 trouble section, and added it in. It does not meet so and so spec Ford Gold stuff but that is the coolant that contains silicates.... I couldn't tell what color was in the truck but the stuff I added was orange. I am going to stop by Napa and see if I can find a good flush additive to run the next few days before the actual flush. The truck took a gallon of the coolant and was sitting at the mark on the reservoir, drove around and the bottle was empty again so I need more. But the truck was making heat at idle and I parked and idled for about 10 minutes in a clean area in a parking lot and didn't see any leaking or such. The sound is still present under acceleration. I'm thinking a water pump issue.... Maybe this information helps.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:58 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laferty View Post
O yeah.... I forgot to add in... and don't hit on me for my mistake but I do not believe I am harming anything and am going to do a full coolant system flush this weekend. I noticed that the coolant bottle we empty and I read all over last night about the no heat at idle causes and I liked the theory about the system being low on coolant would not create enough pressure and such at idle so I stopped and got a bottle of silicate free coolant which is right according to the 6.0 trouble section, and added it in. It does not meet so and so spec Ford Gold stuff but that is the coolant that contains silicates.... I couldn't tell what color was in the truck but the stuff I added was orange. I am going to stop by Napa and see if I can find a good flush additive to run the next few days before the actual flush. The truck took a gallon of the coolant and was sitting at the mark on the reservoir, drove around and the bottle was empty again so I need more. But the truck was making heat at idle and I parked and idled for about 10 minutes in a clean area in a parking lot and didn't see any leaking or such. The sound is still present under acceleration. I'm thinking a water pump issue.... Maybe this information helps.
Man, i'm not gonna bash you, just let me clear something up. Plain and simple, it sounds like you are heading down the coolant issue blues road. Do this and hope for the best, drain your system, remove the thermostat and remove the thermostat from the housing, reinstall, flush with tap till clear, and remove the left block drain and lower hose each time. Be careful it's hot. Once clear, flush with 24 gal of distilled water to get back to a ph of 7. Draining the same way. After that refill with 3.5 gal of any brand concrtrated elc with the cat ec-1 rating that will be listed on the jug. Obviously replace with a new oem thermostat before filling with elc. Allow yourself a full day, and do not allow straight water to sit in there overnight. You need to pull the egr to check for moisture in the intake.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:28 AM
Like a boss!

Here... I am trying to make this as easy as possible for you guys trying to help. lol. This is a video I took this morning and you can clearly hear the sound and how inconsistent it is. I did pay attention to the boost gauge and it will go up to the 20 area while accelerating and such. When I said 8-10 earlier that was when cruise control was set at 60-70 mph. And the vents seem to work good and not only blow through the defroster. Although I am still reading a lot about low/no heat while sitting idle. Coolant drain and clean coming. I looked at all my local car places and the only coolant system flush I see is Prestone stuff and there is about 3 different kinds. Does it all do basically the same job or is there big differences?

6.0 Powerstroke acceleration noise - YouTube
Old 01-01-2013, 09:51 AM
Premium Member

Does the noise happen only whole accelerating, does it do it with the cruise set on level ground?

Old 01-01-2013, 09:57 AM
Like a boss!

Yes it only happens when accelerating. Slowing down, nothing.... truck in park and take engine rpms to 2500, nothing. I think that is because there is no load on it. When cruise control is set it will happen as I am going up a hill. It is mainly at the 2100 rpm and beyond mark, and really noticeable when getting up to speed. It will do it once in awhile riding around but again, it is as you speed up to pass someone etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.