Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

6.0 issues

938 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  ZMANN 
#1 ·
Hello, Im new to diesels and looking to buy a diesel pick up. Im a fan of the cummins and know they are a great motor but hard to find. I like the Fords more but not a huge fan of the 6.0's and 6.4's due to their mess of problems. The truck will be a daily driver and rarely any hauling. What are some issues with the 6.0's and how to get around them and make the truck reliable? Any and all info greatly appreciated

#2 ·
The biggest thing you can do to a 6.0 for reliability is maintain it. Get a monitor so you can see what it's doing. Good good running batteries are critical. A bad battery can wipe out everything from the alternator to injectors. Running a good oil and factory filters are critical to the health of your oil system. Making sure the oil cooler is not clogged will go a long way to preserving the EGR cooler. Once you are sure you have a solid truck you can start saving to bulletproof it with head studs,EGR Delete, updated stand pipes ,dummy plugs,STC fitting......basically making any weak spot the factory missed disappear.
I was afraid of the 6.0 myself and after searching for a Cummins only to realize I couldn't afford a truck that wasn't beat to death I got a 6.0. I have had my fair share of issues but they have been resolved and I can promise you this. Once you drive a good running 6.0 you won't care about the Cummins. If you buy from a dealer spend the extra coin for a warranty. You will have a safety blanket and a road to a solid starting point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.