Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

PLEASE HELP!!!surging after egr cooler replacement???

2K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  powerstroke4713 
#1 ·
ill keep it short and sweet a truck came in not running it had low mpwr i put a ficm in it ran but smoked so bad right off the bat so i put a egr cooler in and the smoking stopped and i took it out for a test drive and it runs like a raped ape but surges under medium load, under full acc it doesnt seem to surge as much i at all.... there are no codes, and when i hook up my snap on modus and go to the boost test to actuate the vgt soleniod at any % the vgt clearly is working the truck will not surge when i take it out of the test mode it goes right back to surging??? any suggestions???

#3 ·
yes the egr was pretty new and i took off the throttle body and cleaned the passages do you think it could be intake leak right there it makes really no sense to me why during the boost test it doesnt surge. during the test does it close the egr all the way...

#5 ·
the truck is a late 04 build.. ok tonight i took the truck out with the ebp sensor unplugged and the surging went away but it cavatated like crazy probably the vanes are being commanded way down. i have a solus scanner and all the pids look ok.. i dont know why when i am in the boost test mode on the scanner where i can manually command the vgt the surge goes away and it runs like a raped ape!!! what sensor is this computer not reading when in boost test mode?? anybody know... literally the customer told me it was not surging when it came for the no start and smoking... this truck is killin me im a great diesel tech but i just cant figure this out...

#7 ·
yeah it was the same 580 at idle 1300ish under the light acc when it surges it matches desired psi.. ipr is good too.. it only boost 24psi max tho... im tring to think of what else i did i unplugged the egr tps icp changed the filters the egr is newer.. something weird is going on ill say it again during the boost test i have on my modus scanner to manually command the vgt solenoid the surge goes away and is runs great i still only get about 24-26psi but no surge whatsoever... its drivin me crazy... if anyone has just a couple of test i could try or things to check or tell me what the computer is not reading during this "boost test" that would be so appreciated

#9 ·
i appreciate your help bud for sure and i saw that procedure on my modus everytime i went to it the damn scanner froze up:/ ill have to read up on that.. im only 26 im a factory trained ford technican just lackin a lil experience and my shop is in a remote backwoods location so i dont have great help.. i went to ford to maybe pick a techs brain for a minute he said just bring it in.. i said i would like to figure it out i just need a lil guidence he said then why you here and walked away

#11 ·
I was reading up on it earlier a little bit but couldn't find a clear answer. I will say this, I've never had to do a relearn on my truck and I've had turbo out multiple times and replaced the VGT solenoid before. What you have going on is definitely weird, but I'm sure it will end up being something simple. Someone that knows more than me will chime in here and help out. Until then, do what I do and just get it completely off your mind and walk away for a bit. It'll come to ya:thumb:

#12 ·
late 04 there is no relearn for the turbo. If the ICP sensor is the right valve cover then its a late 04. Did you clean the turbo while you had it off the truck? What are your MAP and EBP readings with KOEO? When you installed the EGR valve did you replace the o-rings and the gasket on the valve? Seen a couple times o-rings tear and leaks between the EGR ports in the intake.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.