EGR or Head Gasket - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2007, 12:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR or Head Gasket

1st time posting here!

I have a 2004 F350 Lariat 6.0 w/113k miles.
Last week I drove from house to doctors appt. about 8 miles, and had white smoke bellowing out from exaust! On last 1/4 mile the temp pegged out. I turned it off & let it set for 6 hours to cool. I put 2 gallons antifreeze and 2 qt. oil and then it started and ran fine. I drove it around town for one week, no problems at all. Yesterday I started to go to work and the same thing happened, it was VERY hard to start but when it did, it smoked like a chimeny. I turned it off and checked it in the evening, same thing 2 gallons low. I called the dealer in montana were I bought it, they said they replaced the EGR cooler in 05.
Could this be the same thing again? or the head gasket?
i have no warranty because of 113k miles. PLEASE HELP!!!
btw... the truck is pure stock, no add ons.

Last edited by watson59405; 10-30-2007 at 12:56 PM. Reason: forgot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2007, 12:56 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by watson59405 View Post
1st time posting here!

I have a 2004 F350 Lariat 6.0 w/113k miles.
Last week I drove from house to doctors appt. about 8 miles, and had white smoke bellowing out from exaust! On last 1/4 mile the temp pegged out. I turned it off & let it set for 6 hours to cool. I put 2 gallons antifreeze and 2 qt. oil and then it started and ran fine. I drove it around town for one week, no problems at all. Yesterday I started to go to work and the same thing happened, it was VERY hard to start but when it did, it smoked like a chimeny. I turned it off and checked it in the evening, same thing 2 gallons low. I called the dealer in montana were I bought it, they said they replaced the EGR cooler in 05.
Could this be the same thing again? or the head gasket?
i have no warranty because of 113k miles. PLEASE HELP!!!
egr cooler /oil cooler , head gaskets do not blow out the exhaust, and by the way thats why i sad oil cooler also, if they didnt replace that they didnt fix the problem, the oil cooler is what generally causes egr failure
Old 10-30-2007, 12:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUFFY828 View Post
egr cooler /oil cooler , head gaskets do not blow out the exhaust, and by the way thats why i sad oil cooler also, if they didnt replace that they didnt fix the problem, the oil cooler is what generally causes egr failure
would this cause the loss of antifreeze and white smoke?
Old 10-30-2007, 01:01 PM
Jon

Yes

the coolant will get into the exhaust through the egr cooler internally and cause you to lose coolant and create white smoke. The reason the egr coolers go is the oil cooler goes out and causes the temps to rise in the egr cooler and it melts the solder causing the leak.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroketech View Post
the coolant will get into the exhaust through the egr cooler internally and cause you to lose coolant and create white smoke. The reason the egr coolers go is the oil cooler goes out and causes the temps to rise in the egr cooler and it melts the solder causing the leak.
would this cause the very rough/grinding/sometimes wont even click, starting and also about how much is this going to set me back?
Old 10-30-2007, 01:07 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by watson59405 View Post
would this cause the very rough/grinding/sometimes wont even click, starting and also about how much is this going to set me back?
when its doing that its trying to hydrolock the engine cause the coolant is filling up the cylinders , you keep trying to crank it like that and youll bend a rod , that isnt a cheap repair , im guessing 1500.0o depending on where you take it
Old 10-30-2007, 01:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUFFY828 View Post
when its doing that its trying to hydrolock the engine cause the coolant is filling up the cylinders , you keep trying to crank it like that and youll bend a rod , that isnt a cheap repair , im guessing 1500.0o depending on where you take it
I did it only once (this morning) it finally started and I noticed the smoke again, thats when I shut it off. I will have the tow truck move it to the dealer im not driving it again like this!
1500 for egr cooler is better than 3000 for heads.
I guess
Old 10-30-2007, 01:15 PM
Jon

yes

your correct.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroketech View Post
so if im correct this means that i should have the egr AND the oil cooler replaced right?
Old 10-30-2007, 08:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Exclamation

just want to say thanks for the quick response to my ???'s Now i just have to find a way to pay for the repairs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.