HELP... WONT STAY RUNNING! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 10:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HELP... WONT STAY RUNNING!

IVE GOT AN 03 F350 6.0 SHUT OFF ON START UP ABOUT A WEEK AGO. STARTED OUT INSTALLING A NEW FUEL PUMP ASSEMBLY. NO LUCK THE INSTALLED NEW ICP AND PIGTAIL, STILL NO LUCK. SO I PULLED VALVE COVERS AND PRESSURISED THE OIL RAILS DRIVERS SIDE WAS FINE. PASSANGER SIDE I COULD STILL HEAR AIR AFTER CLOSING IPR SO I REPLACED IPR THINKING THE THAT VALVE WASENT CLOSING ALL THE WAY STILL SAME ISSUE. WHEN I GOT MOTOR ALL PUT BACK TOGETHER I STARTED AND IT STAYED RUNNING FOR ABOUT 20 MIN AND THEN SHUT OF AND THE MORE HEAT THE MOTOR GOT IN IT THE SHORTER AMOUNT OF TIME IT WOULD STAY RUNNING NOW THE TRUCK WONT RUN FOR MORE THEN ABOUT 2MIN. ALSO PULLED BOTH STAND PIPES AND CHECKED BOTH ORINGS ON STAND PIPES

PLEASE HELP!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 01:32 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
First, no need to type in all caps, makes it harder to read. Do you have a monitor.......Write Up: Monitoring the 6.0L PSD.

If not, it will save you alot of money in geuss work. Is the truck smoking, was it smoking prior to shuting down? Check for combustion gases in the fuel rail, remove the upper fuel filter, hfcm fuse, and ficm relay. Crank the truck over and see if you have combustion gasses in the housing. Have you checked the egr to see if it is stuck open? Are you running motorcraft filters with matching cap, and a good quality oil?

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sry about the all caps.

Yes I have ford Ids with vcm2. Truck is not smoking now or when problem first started. Checked for gasses this afternoon and pulled egr and put in a new spare that I had. Truck dose have new motor craft filters and fresh rotella

After posting this I also pulled oil pressure and installed manual guage to make sure that motor had low pressure guage went to 35psi

And while cranking on motor will only build around 360psi on icp pressure but get truck to run if u spray it but still only builds around 600psi and will only run for about 5 minutes before pressure drops and truck shuts off but you can slowly watch pressure drop within the 5 minutes and truck will only run if u spray it

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 12-17-2012, 01:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Check the STC fitting and the dummy plug and stand pipes, more than likely one of those is you failure point.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:14 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric@PTP View Post
Check the STC fitting and the dummy plug and stand pipes, more than likely one of those is you failure point.
He has an 03', op you dont have the famed "stc" fittings that fail, but you do have stc fittings on the hpo hoses under both valve covers, and you have standpipes. No dummy plugs. As suggested, you have an oil leak somewhere, best to repeat the air test again. Could be the check ball in the hpop that popped out, hpo hoses, injector o rings, or standpipes. I'm guessing check ball at this point.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southend View Post
He has an 03', op you dont have the famed "stc" fittings that fail, but you do have stc fittings on the hpo hoses under both valve covers, and you have standpipes. No dummy plugs. As suggested, you have an oil leak somewhere, best to repeat the air test again. Could be the check ball in the hpop that popped out, hpo hoses, injector o rings, or standpipes. I'm guessing check ball at this point.

Yep, I missed that it was an 03 sorry. But I agree there is a oil leak somewhere.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:23 PM

Low pressure system should be greater than 40 psi so you have a low pressure leak somewhere which also be why your looseing hpoil pressure. LPOP not putting out enough oil flow to keep the HPOP resivoir full and allow gradual loss of HPoil pressure.

Check your LP regulator for damage/leak and the filter components for anything fubared.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I checked the orings on the stand pipes and just went ahead And replaced them sence I had them out. And sence I've already air tested the rails would it be better to plug the rails and pressurize at the icp?? And I've heard of the branch tubes leaking but never seen or heard one leak what would you look for when checking the branch tubes?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.