Intro/No start/long read - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 08:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Intro/No start/long read

My truck and the issues I face.

Black 2005/250/2WD/Lariet/2DR (I like my sled, and I have plenty of 4wd toys, dont need another one)

Bought the truck with 146k, stock equipment, no issues, has a Goose neck ball in the bed, seems well maintained, no major histroy on the Oasis report.

Im currently at 176k, and conduct the regular maintenance, normally a 3 sec start after system prime and plugs warmed, truck doesnt smoke, or buck it just hauls booty when need it too. This condition started one morning

day 1
-cold start, cranked for about 5 sec x 3 no start,
-went made coffee then 5 sec x 3 no start,
-went back inside kissed my wife good bye "again" crank 5 secs and heard it start to come to life held it for another 3 sec it started,
-it started two more times normal that day.
-That night drove 60miles round trip w/cold start half way, no issues.
-later same night crank no start cold condition. left truck and walked home.

next day
-no start in morning
-afternoon retried about a 7 sec x3 and start, drove home. parked it.

day 3
-no start
-changed fuel filters/primed system/ this seemed to work
-started a parked condition 6 times in two days w/no issues(rebuild confidence that I wont get stuck some where again)

Day 4
-cold start in morning parked for work
-no start 1 hr later

present day
yard art

I just purchased a SCT LW TS, still waiting for it, B/O from XPD, I dont want it for the tunes as muh as I do the monitoring capabilities. BTW $540 to my door, cheapest Ive seen for the past 8 months Ive been thinking about getting one.

Im not throwing any codes(buddy brought his obd reader over)
Not leaking any fluids
Full fuel tank
Primed fuel system, after fuel filter replacement
Good batts
No stuttering or bucking when trying to start
No smoke when trying to start
No over heat conditions
All visual inspecatble fuses are good

If it does start, it runs like it normally should. (I popped a mist of ether to get her started, I know......... cuss me now and later, I appologized to her when she awoke). this is a hot and cold start condition, just wont start. when it does it runs sweet.

Based on the minimal maintenance history of the truck and entirly stock paltform(thank the lord). I have reason to believe this is a HPO issue.

I recently ordered the upgraded STC fitting, and a replacement Turbo seal kit, I suspect that I could Have spent a few more dollars and gone with a few more parts.

Now I have read damn near every thread concerning the same conditions Im having in the No Start relm, and a majority present the following common trends

HPOP
STC
ICP
IPR

These are my conclusion(chime in) correct me if Im wrong.
-this trucks oil pressure can not get high enough during a cranking condition to allow truck to start.
-once started, oil pressure can be maintained high enough to keep truck funtioning as normal
-this type of condition will not throw a code?
-this is not a fuel issue
-this is not an air issue
-this is not an electrical issue

Plan-
I purchased the SCT TS to get a good bead on my truck, intent is to do the install on the SCT TS and get her running, I wont use the "E" word, once I can get some good diagnostics I will start to moleste her virgin nuts and bolts based on the symptoms I have gathered from the programmers intelligence.

with a low budget, taking her to a shop, and the potential of letting her get raped by another man when I can very well do the same at home seems costly.

Gents Im sure if it wasnt for these boards and some of your keen advice and experiance, I wouldnt be doing this by myself, Im sure some people shouldnt being trying to diagnose things on there own and thats what the proffesionals are for, but im not desperate enough for there help...not yet at least. Im glad this condition developed, I needed some thing to work on. If you have some fifth sense and it tells you I need too head in another direction, by all means tell me Im a dumb-a$$ and pay the man to fix my problems.

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 09:38 AM

BTW.
-10 sec crank time, till pressure reads in dash display.
-ICP disconected, still nostart
Old 12-17-2012, 09:57 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Diagnostics on the 6.0 can be expensive doing them yourself, BUT most times, they can be done by an average DIY mechanic. Unfortunately (as you've probably already learned in your searching) your symptoms sounds like ALL 85,326 issues with the 6.0L engine. (BTW, I made that number up. ) Like you, I would suspect a high pressure oil leak, but the FICM is easier to check and rule out. You can either with for your TSx to arrive OR you can check the FICM voltage with a standard multimeter. The link to the procedure is below.

LINK
Old 12-17-2012, 09:57 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I read through all your post and never seen anything about checking the FICM voltage. Have you checked it with KOEO and while cranking?
Old 12-17-2012, 10:06 AM

Without any kind of monitor it's hard to know whats going on. I'd test the FICM like has already been suggested and if it tests ok have you tried disconnecting the IPS during a no start? Being an intermittent problem it could be a sensor. Knowing what your ICP volts and ICP pressure is, and IPR % would go a long way here as well.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:17 AM

for starters, yes i did pull the ICP, no love on the start up. pulled it out, cleaned it, there really isnt much to look at in that department.

Otherwise, the TS got drop shipped from NJ, so I should see it this week, Ill be able to test the FICM at that point, I dont believe its the FICM, if it had been, i dont think the truck would have operated as smoothly as it did when running. IMHO. But I will still be able to eliminate that when the tS gets in. and once it gets in ill be able to narrow it down to only 85,325 problems.

thanks for the responses gents.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanna6powerstroke View Post
I read through all your post and never seen anything about checking the FICM voltage. Have you checked it with KOEO and while cranking?
KOEO, Key Off Engine Off?
Old 12-17-2012, 10:20 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Key ON engine off. Just an FYI, a failing FICM can cause a no or hard start condition and run perfectly fine when started.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlinedsix View Post
KOEO, Key Off Engine Off?
Key On Engine Off. You can test it with a volt meter right under the hood.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10secondC View Post
Key On Engine Off. You can test it with a volt meter right under the hood.
thanks Boss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.