front axle leaking - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 08:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
front axle leaking

While working to put my leveling kit on. I noticed that I have a leak on both sides of the axle.

Based on some info I read, I think my inner axle seals are leaking. Is this correct? Are there any good diy instructions on how to do this? Also, are there any other things I should replace while doing this?Ball joints, u joints? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2012, 08:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

anyone? Your help is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:01 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I haven't had to do it yet, but there are some good vodeos on youtube. Srmastertech, I believe there is a special tool for installing the inner seal. Is that the hub bearing seal on the right side of the universal joint?

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:16 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
looks like it
Old 12-17-2012, 08:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Boss. You deffinetly got some bad seals. Ive done some axles Smaller than what you got there. Im sure the principles are the same.

With the axles ive done..i only needed one specialty tool. Picked it up at some auto store...a hub tool/socket.

This is not a complicated job. Just take your time. If your confident with turning wrenches this will take the mystery out of axle work.

Just take note when assebling the front hubs. Tighten to the specs so you dont drop a wheel on the highway.

I cant speak for this axle...only older dana44s..but if they are similar should be no probr...unless the axles have c clips inside..wow i just thought about that..yeah check that first...otherwise you gonna need to crack the front diff cover off...

Dang..dissregard.....It just clicked
you prob have dana 60 front w/free floating hubs. Could have c clips...nevermind everything i said you have antire different axle...

Good luck..might want some one else to chime in...sorry.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:47 AM
Premium Member

You are right inner axle seals. I have done a few of them on these trucks. Two this summer. You have to pull the axles (no clips involved) then take out the ring gear. Take the cover off then 4 bolts hold the caps on the ring gear bearings. Once the ring gear is out you can see the seals in the housing. I have a pry bar with a hook on the end of it that works pretty good to just pry the old seals out. I use a 3/4 drive socket to pound on to put the new ones in. They can be kind of fiddly to start sometimes. Just put the seals in until they are just past flush or they will go right on through into the housing. Put the bearing caps back on the same side you took them off from on re-installation.

You don't have to mess with ring and pinion adjustment because the pinion wasn't out and the ring gears is going back where it was to start with.

Nothing hard about it, just a pain in the arse.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:52 PM
Premium Member

Ron-M is right on...not a big deal of a job at all no special tools need. And don't overthink tanking the differential out...one tip there take a punch and put a punch mark on the upper outer corner of each cap to remember what side goes where. Also torque those bolts to SPEC! I would check out the u-joint on the axle shafts while you have them out. And since you have it that far down taking a good look at the hub bearings and ball joints are a good idea!
Old 01-02-2013, 09:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for everyones help. Do you folks have the part number for this seal?
Old 01-03-2013, 04:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I think I may have found the part number. 2c3z3254 AA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.