Stupid pulley question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 04:12 AM
...swamp trash...

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Stupid pulley question

Hi all! Got a couple of dumb questions for you. Upon start up in the morn I hear a squeaking for a few minutes, which tells me I may have a pulley on it's way out. My main drive belt is pretty new only a few thousand miles on it. My question is how do I release that tensioner without the tool? I have tried to push that little tab and move it with no avail, so needless to say, the last couple of times I pulled the belt I have one of my bigger friends manhandle that thing back onto the alternator while I lined it up. The tensioner has a place to get a ratchet on it and move it but I can't get anything in there past the shroud, even my Snap On guy had nothing that would fit. My other question is will my water pump "weep" when it's on it's way out? Flow seems good, no temp issues. Smelled coolant a while back, and could of sworn I saw it dripping from that area. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 04:50 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I've never found anything that will work. I always remove the upper fan shroud guard and put one knee on the alt and the other on the radiator and just pull the belt off. As far as the water pump, usually they will weep when they are on the way out.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
the ater pump will make an odd sound when it starts going out and rubs the front cover
Old 12-12-2012, 06:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I can't get to the tensioner pulley with anything while the shroud is on. I just replaced my power steering pump. I stood on the pass. batt and alternator then pulled on the belt hard and slipped it off the alternator. Putting the belt back on was harder... I needed to do a little swearing and then it slipped right on. Lol.

Sent from my DROID2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 12-12-2012, 07:15 AM

I searched out this thread Serpentine belt replacement - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum when I changed out my belt, so there is a tool for the job. I made one up by welding a 1/2 peice of square stock diagonally onto a 1/4 piece of flat bar stock. Fit good, but never did get it to release enough to push up the locking tab, so I got real mad and jumped up on the passenger tire and pulled like crazy on the belt while a buddy flipped up the locking tab. My buddy is a chevy guy who kept saying my truck was a piece of crap, helped with the anger strength.

Phil
Old 12-12-2012, 07:18 AM

There's a slot on the tensioner pulley housing where you stick in a 1/2" ratchet. I remove the snap-in shround, install the ratchet, and then stick my 3 foot jack handle on it to release the tension. You can do it by yourself but it is a bit easier with two people. I never saw a locking tab on mine unless I just broke it when I removed the belt.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:11 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I've been known to make these but they never hang around too long.

1/2" square bar stock 1" long. 1 1/4" x 1/4" x 24" flat steel.

If the tensioner has a lock then lock it and leave the tool hang. if it doesn't have a lock you have to be careful because when you remove the belt the tool will hit close too or right on the positive battery terminal. make the necessary accommodations if that is the case
Old 12-12-2012, 04:23 PM
...swamp trash...

Thanks for the replys! I do think it's the pump. I think I'll check into it this weekend. If it is I'm going with the BPD one. Just makes sense as I want to keep the truck. I guess I'll tackle this when my shop closes for Christmas. Was planning on doing a Coolant flush as well. Just don't know if I am gonna do a chemical flush or not, but if I'm putting in a pump of this caliber I might just do it and plan on a cooler soon as well in the near future . Thanks for showing me that sinner 6.0 I can probably make that. And thanks for the info guys.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:37 PM

not sure what your squeak is but I can pull the belt with my left arm and flip the hold open on the idler with my right hand ,,

I would still wipe some liquid dish soap on the belt sides and let it dry a bit then see if it still squeaks
Old 12-12-2012, 04:40 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
not sure what your squeak is but I can pull the belt with my left arm and flip the hold open on the idler with my right hand ,,

I would still wipe some liquid dish soap on the belt sides and let it dry a bit then see if it still squeaks
Are you a body builder?! I don't have enough s**t to do that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.