6.0 starting issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 01:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 starting issues

so heres the deal, yesterday went out to the truck to go to work, started fine no problems there, got to work, shut the truck down, got my keys, walked back out to the truck, turned the ignition on, turned key to start and it made a pop sound somewhere in the front of the truck..

turned the key back and tried to start again... nothing like totally dead

walked out to the shop to grab the snap on scanner because my SCT wouldnt tell me anything. checked everything on the snap on and no codes, except for cylinder 7 glow plug, which has been there.

didnt check oil pressure or anything because it sounded electrical to me

decided to try again, crank crank crank and finally lite up.

drove it home, let it cool down, checked all fluids bla bla bla

went to get something to eat and the crank time was still long but started finally, after i was done went out to get in it and it took even longer to start, now i went out just now to leave and the truck wont start at all.

im stuck, cant figure it out. anyone else had this problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 05:05 PM

Sounds like a HPO leak (stand pipes, dummy plugs, STC) to me I'm dealing with the same problem now. Thats my thinking since it starts fine cold, but not hot. Do you have a monitor to check ICP while cranking? If your still stuck you could try to unplug ICP sensor and see what happens, but Im not sure that will help
Old 12-10-2012, 07:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

just did thousands in high pressure oil crap.

brand new high pressure oil pump with stc fitting
dummy plugs
stand pipes
all new injector orings and coppers
every oring possible has been done
brand new ICP
brand new IPR

i even have bulletproof scratching there heads on my truck... this truck is a regular at their shop..

have a snap-on scanner at work. gonna throw it on the trailer and take it down there tomorrow.

what should i check for

IPR percentage?
ICP pressure?
FICM voltage?

anything else?

just want the truck long enough to trade it in.. anyone interested in it? lol i will sell it for what i owe on it, 9k
Old 12-12-2012, 11:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Had similar problem. Try cleaning your EGR Value with carburetor cleaner (unplug wiring harness, unbolt the 2 10metric screws and pull it out, which is kinda difficult.
Make sure the blue O-rings are still there after cleaning and putting it back in.

That fixed my problems when my truck was hot and wouldn't start
When my truck is cold and won't start, unplug the ICP sensor, start the truck, plug it back in

Best of luck!
Old 12-18-2012, 04:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

truck has egr delete and sct program to keep that away. i will have to check the icp out.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Did you check the FICM Voltage?
Old 12-19-2012, 05:39 PM

Ok so here it is I just had this happen to me. First what is your ipr pressure when u are trying to start if this is under I think 450 or so truck will not start. It might when it's old but this is all linked to the HPO system. This is easy to find you can also take your ipr valve out and use compress air to hear the leak in the system. Mine came back to the SCT fitting this will slowly go out or blow out. If they slowly go out you will have the hard start issue. When it blows out the fitting seperates and allows oil to leak out thus not building pressure for injectors.

I don't know what upgrades you have but you aso want to do the stand pipes and dummy plugs this will also give you hell at some point in total for all HPO upgrades it's around 200 or so. If you need more info let me know but this was the cause on my truck just last month so I tore into it and did a full rebuild studs egr delete and many others......
Old 12-22-2012, 12:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

truck has brand new hpop in it. stc fitting uprgrade along with it. all stand pipes, dummyplugs, injectors, coppers, everything fuel related and oil related has been done. put the chip back on stock just to be sure

heres my weekend update, got the truck to start, dont know how just went out yesterday and it started, and it runs now but takes quite a bit of cranking to start, hot or cold.

but when it starts it runs fine, no problems whatsoever
Old 12-28-2012, 10:23 AM

What year is ur truck how are all the wires for sensors and battery's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.