Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Need help please

1K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  duck 
#1 ·
Hi huys, I hope I can have someone pont me in the right direction where I need to look. I guess I`ll start by giving you what my ride is then what I know about my issue.

My truck is an `05 F-350 CC SB
I just bought it this past summer because my old truck was just too under powered for towing my 5th wheel. I needed to replace the batteries after I got the truck, and found a parasitic drain (instrument cluster (fuse #2))

My issue is that when I start the truck, its rough, and seems to run rough unless I let it warm up for a good 10-15 minutes :mad: I also notice quite a bit of smoke in my exhaust....a bit blue-ish in colour. I have no codes show up on my cts, and ficm voltage is never gone below 47.5 and batt. volts drop to about 11 when cranking but stay around 12.3 until glow plugs turn off then voltage goes up to 13.6

I don't know if all that is relavent, but there is all I really know.
Thanks in advance for any advise

#8 ·
ok....its about that time to change the oil anyways....and you say to put 2 bottles of rev-x in with the oil? do I need to keep adding rev-x with every oil change after on also or is it the one time until it's needed again.

Thanks for your help guys. This is my first diesel truck, and I thought I did a lot of research before I bought it. I knew about the issues that are common with the 6.0L (like the FICM and EGR) but I have really learned so much lurking around on this site since I got the truck.

#9 ·
I know I have to start forking out a lot of cash to bullet-proof it but I think it'll be worth it. I really fell in love with my truck since I got it, but I really do need to do something to fix my ride because my fuel economy has gone down the toilet....my CTS has my average in the 7MPG range :doh:

#12 ·
My first Rev-X was fall 2011 along with the first use of synthetic oil. Didn't need it again until this last oil change, that was the fourth since using Rev-X the first time and always with synthetic Rotella T6 5w40. This time I'm thinking I'll change the oil before it's due, getting between 1,500 and 2,500 miles on a fresh load of T6 with Rev-X. The reason I think I'll do this is that the first time I used it, it worked like freaking magic for about 4,000 miles, then started acting up again before the 5,000 was up. When I next changed the oil it did get better again, but that was also spring and I'm not absolutely certain how much of it was weather and how much was Rev-X running beyond it's ability to work.

So trying to sum all that rambling up, I think what's happening is the Rev-X is dissolving the garbage from the injectors, but there's a limit to how long it will hold it in suspension. So I am thinking I want to drain it away before the garbage gets the chance to settle back out.

And no, I don't intend to use Rev-X every oil change, if I start feeling like that's necessary then I think my injectors probably need to be changed.

#13 ·
Rivan, I just went through the same issue with my batteries going dead. Checked for parasite draw and came up with the same thing (#2 fuse giving me a .36 amp draw with everything off). I suspect it has something to do with my gauge pod and a wire being finnicky. This is probably because I was out driving in the desert and the gauge pod (pillar pod) kept falling down. I pulled the fuse and the amps went down to 25mA, jiggled some wires and it seems to be staying put at 25mA. I'm planning to replace the gauges with a monitor, anyhow, but I'm curious as to what you did to fix your issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.