Need help please - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 08:33 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need help please

Hi huys, I hope I can have someone pont me in the right direction where I need to look. I guess I`ll start by giving you what my ride is then what I know about my issue.

My truck is an `05 F-350 CC SB
I just bought it this past summer because my old truck was just too under powered for towing my 5th wheel. I needed to replace the batteries after I got the truck, and found a parasitic drain (instrument cluster (fuse #2))

My issue is that when I start the truck, its rough, and seems to run rough unless I let it warm up for a good 10-15 minutes I also notice quite a bit of smoke in my exhaust....a bit blue-ish in colour. I have no codes show up on my cts, and ficm voltage is never gone below 47.5 and batt. volts drop to about 11 when cranking but stay around 12.3 until glow plugs turn off then voltage goes up to 13.6

I don't know if all that is relavent, but there is all I really know.
Thanks in advance for any advise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 08:35 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivan View Post
Hi huys, I hope I can have someone pont me in the right direction where I need to look. I guess I`ll start by giving you what my ride is then what I know about my issue.

My truck is an `05 F-350 CC SB
I just bought it this past summer because my old truck was just too under powered for towing my 5th wheel. I needed to replace the batteries after I got the truck, and found a parasitic drain (instrument cluster (fuse #2))

My issue is that when I start the truck, its rough, and seems to run rough unless I let it warm up for a good 10-15 minutes I also notice quite a bit of smoke in my exhaust....a bit blue-ish in colour. I have no codes show up on my cts, and ficm voltage is never gone below 47.5 and batt. volts drop to about 11 when cranking but stay around 12.3 until glow plugs turn off then voltage goes up to 13.6

I don't know if all that is relavent, but there is all I really know.
Thanks in advance for any advise
Are you just watching the FICM voltage through the CTS?
Old 12-08-2012, 09:17 PM

I have tested it with the multi-meter also....I automatically suspected the ficm before I got my cts. I noticed no change KOEO and engine running....same readings as the insite.

Last edited by Rivan; 12-08-2012 at 09:18 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-08-2012, 10:14 PM
Mod Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivan View Post
I have tested it with the multi-meter also....I automatically suspected the ficm before I got my cts. I noticed no change KOEO and engine running....same readings as the insite.
You have to check it while cranking to properly check it. KOEO and running do you no good.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:34 PM

Had my dad helping me, and tested it KOEO, cranking and running.....no change what so ever....I'M thinking a bum-injector or something IDK
Old 12-12-2012, 09:01 PM
Mod Newbie

What I would do is change your oil to a 5w-40 synthetic like Shell Rotella T6 and get a couple bottles of Rev-X and add to the oil. Maybe you're getting some stiction issues.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanna6powerstroke View Post
What I would do is change your oil to a 5w-40 synthetic like Shell Rotella T6 and get a couple bottles of Rev-X and add to the oil. Maybe you're getting some stiction issues.
that's the right start.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:41 PM

ok....its about that time to change the oil anyways....and you say to put 2 bottles of rev-x in with the oil? do I need to keep adding rev-x with every oil change after on also or is it the one time until it's needed again.

Thanks for your help guys. This is my first diesel truck, and I thought I did a lot of research before I bought it. I knew about the issues that are common with the 6.0L (like the FICM and EGR) but I have really learned so much lurking around on this site since I got the truck.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:46 PM

I know I have to start forking out a lot of cash to bullet-proof it but I think it'll be worth it. I really fell in love with my truck since I got it, but I really do need to do something to fix my ride because my fuel economy has gone down the toilet....my CTS has my average in the 7MPG range
Old 12-14-2012, 12:12 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Don't calculate your mileage with electronics. Hand calculate it with actual miles driven divided by how many gallons used.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.