How would you feel? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 08:02 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How would you feel?

Hey hows it going, my name is Steve I am a new member to this forum and hope im putting this in the correct spot.

I have just bought a 2006 1 ton 6.0L with a 6 speed manual transmission and 200,000km the truck is completely stock besides an 8 Inch lift and 35" tires
and i absolutely love this truck, I have just received from the local dealership a list of all the work done to this truck while it was on warranty.

the FICM Module has been replaced, as have the High pressure fuel pump twice.
only 2 injectors have been changed since 2006
cracked turbo rings, EGR and a few other small things and many reports of lack of power. the last work done to this truck was in 2010 on warranty and the warranty has just ended within the last 4 months.

does this sound like a truck that will be nothing but problems for me?
or should i take the report as a warning.
(it goes into a performance diesel shop for EGR Delete, Chip and ARP Headstuds on January 7th)

I have also been smelling burnt coolant as of late, not frequently but maybe once every 2 weeks after driving on the highway etc.. also smokes alot on startup but when at operating temperature never.

Thank you for your responses i am very new to diesels and this forum and am looking for somebody elses opinion on the matter!
Attached Thumbnails
How would you feel?-545705_10152151798280635_1275205885_n.jpg  

Last edited by lrgnugs; 12-05-2012 at 08:18 AM. Reason: forgot to add something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 11:20 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Is it throwing any codes? Puking? Have you checked your FICM voltage? You already have it scheduled for studs and EGR delete, the only other thing I would add is possible an oil cooler at the same time. Check the STC fitting, stand pipes, etc. while he has all that apart.

Do you have any means of monitoring this engine, like a insight CTS/CS or a scan gauge? This is a necessity on these engines. You are getting the big issues out of the way and that should be a great start to making this a solid truck for you.

There is a lot of good information on here. Check out the below link that one of the members here did. Great for anyone who is new to diesels.

Things to consider about owning a 6.0L

Good luck
Old 12-05-2012, 12:02 PM

Thank you for the reply I will get those things you mentioned checked for sure also besides having a sct chip should I need the scan gauge still to monitor certain things ?
I read that write up boatloads of information.
I don't know how to check the ficm voltage but ill search it up its not throwing any codes and is clean in and around the degas bottle
This truck is my baby I work oilfield and every time I fly home it's in the shop getting some new things I just want to shut my dodge owner buddy up I think this 6 liter is awesome the sound and body style of my truck is so sweet thanks for the help ill get on this stuff right away!
Old 12-05-2012, 12:08 PM

Here is a link to a video that shows you how to check the FICM voltage. There are SCT devices out there that can be used as monitors also, the livewire ones I believe. I do not have an SCT. I have a CTS to monitor everything. It just depends on what you want. Look into the livewire setups and see if that is what you want.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...val-video.html
Old 12-05-2012, 12:09 PM

Best guess on the burnt coolant is a ruptured EGR cooler, which may have been caused by a clogged oil cooler.

Any idea what your coolant temps and oil temps are?
Old 12-05-2012, 12:12 PM
Premium Member

The smoke on start up may be injector stiction, which can be cured with rev x or archoil.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:32 PM

Just an UPDATE:

I've purchased and installed
ARP Headstuds, SCT Livewire TS, EGR Delete and a Scangauge II and have on order a blue spring upgrade kit.
one of my really good friends is a ford diesel tech at a ford dealership, he took my truck for a test drive with the computer hooked up to it and found 2 bad injectors and my turbo was sticking/overboosting
replaced the injectors this morning and had my turbo cleaned and i believe he called it a unison ring replaced.
truck is running like a million bucks, thank you all for your input!
Old 12-22-2012, 04:53 PM

Glad to hear that you got things sorted out!

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide App
Old 12-23-2012, 03:05 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Nice tires, I have a smaller set for mine too. They are expensive though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.