One cylinder doesn't fire on cold start. Glow plug? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 05:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
One cylinder doesn't fire on cold start. Glow plug?

Purchased the truck in summer, and as winter started to set in, when it got colder, it sounds like one of the cylinders does not fire right away on start up.

My only other experience with a diesel, winter, and glow plug failure was my 1981 VW Rabbit. Loved that thing, but it's not quite the same as the 6.0.

Wondering if someone can point me in a direction. I've done some searching and reading, and read everything from GP harness, to relay, to "meh" it's nothing really.

I'm thinking it sounds like a glow plug is not living up to standards, but I'm looking for some opinions and advice on how to identify and test.
I've scanned and there are no codes.
After about 5 to 10 seconds it clears up and runs like a champ.

Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 05:46 AM

u can test them Glow plugs... - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

they may not throw a code .. I am still unsure if once a deisel starts even if a GP was down that it would cause an issue ,, seems like that cylinder spinning 1000rpms would heat the air fast enough to cause combustion just like it was designed to do ?

in other words the cylinders with the working GP's were responsible for firing the motor but after that it's a non issue IMHO
Old 11-30-2012, 05:56 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Glow plugs will not cause a misfire, they assist cold start to improve initial combustion, usually only necessary in very cold conditions. Do you have a monitor, any codes?

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southend View Post
Glow plugs will not cause a misfire, they assist cold start to improve initial combustion, usually only necessary in very cold conditions. Do you have a monitor, any codes?

Well that's the only real symptom. When warm, if stored inside or during the summer, fires right up on all cylinders.
When it's cold outside and it's been sitting, then on startup it fires right up after the usual 3 ~ 5 seconds of cranking, but one cylinder makes some rumbling/clacking sounds for the first 5 ~ 10 seconds of firing, then smooths out.

I was thinking one glow plug not pulling it's weight to get the fuel up to temp for combustion.

?

Oh, and 2 monitors (SCT and Edge Insight), as well as 2 OBD 2 readers.
No codes.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:34 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Ok, the only other thing that comes to mind is a weak injector or stiction. What oil are you running? Re-x may help you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.