Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Odd No/hard Start Condition

3K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  ejg3855 
#1 ·
Same situation has happened 2x to me and I can only find one common denominator.

The end of my driveway is a slope, not very steep.

I typically don't park the truck in that part of the driveway but when I do it seems to cause a no start condition. The last time I got it to fire by WOT and cranking and it made all sorts of smoke and angry idle.

My only crazy theory is that the HPOP reservoir drains when I park on the hill and the oil has a hard time filling the reservoir when parked there. I have had times where I will crank 8-10s figuring that the LPOP will fill the HPOP reservoir but its usually to no avail.

Needless to say I park it somewhere flat and it starts with no issues. I have no idea if thats the cause but its a theory. I have AE in the mail now so I kind of want it to happen so I can see what the heck is going on.

#2 ·
Now I cannot confirm nor deny this, but i've read a similar thread where the guy states that a shaft seal is bad in the hpop, and when parked at an angle, it drains causing hard/no start. I'm not intimately familiar with how the hpop is constructed. Hope this helps. Btw, you are not the first person to post this condition.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

#3 ·
Up until recently I would have and have said it was not possible.
My contention has always been if the seal leaked enough under gravity conditions then it would not be able to hold enough oilpressure in to crank and run when the truck was faced the other way.

However a mechanic whom I admire and respect on another forum said he had come across one himself and had heard of other from techs he trusted.

We compared notes on our testing proceduers and found we both ran the same tests but got different results. Mine was a pinhole in the oil pickup tube in the pan. His was the bottom o-ring on the pump to reivoir pick up.

Two sample tests really are not enough to draw a definate conclusion. So all I can say now is it can happen. This is a very rare instance it took 4 years before I came across one and only that one, I have worked on several thousand since the first 6.0's came out and only saw that one.

If any other techs come across this and would be willing to share their test proceduers and results I would like to hear them. PM me at any time.

#4 ·
Thanks for the responses guys, I have no idea what goes on.

But trying to isolate situations and conditions related to them this is all I could come up with.

ICP reads about 600ish at idle when its running, have no idea if this is related.

#5 ·
Icp is normal, try to get ipr% while cranking.

#6 ·
When your at the end of your drive way and this happens are you nose down or nose up? I know some think I'm crazy but I can make this happen on mine any time it's nose up hill for longer than 4 hours. I didn't see what year your truck was but I have only heard of it on the 03 early 04. there is a tec on anther forum that has me convinced that mine is HPOP or the o ring under it I am hopeful that I'll make it until spring don't want to do it in the snow,,,

#7 ·
I was wondering what you ever found out.

#8 ·
Had this happen on mine last weekend for the first time. Sat for three hours on a slight nose up incline, took three long cranks for it to slowly sputter to a start and idle with a big cloud of smoke. Have been glued to the FICM volts, IPR/ICP readings since then. They've all checked out and can't repeat it at all, but have been maintaining level parking spots since then.:dunno:

#10 ·
Poorboy, I believe it's gonna be after the 1st, I still need to gather some other things up. Christmas is gonna put a dent in me. I'm gonna probably do a write-up if I come up with some tips and tricks. :thumbup:

#13 ·
Not in the pump it's self but there are 2 o-rings 1 on the bottom mounting surface and 1 on the top that bolt a plate onto the oil line,,, I have to say that with the amount of work to get to this I would change the pump out even if it's a bad o-ring

#15 ·
Hum,, yeah I think it would, but what if it was a bad rebuild that didn't hold up. I think your issue could be something different watch it and see if it keeps doing it. if it does or gets worse you may want to try to leak test with an air compressor. I'm still researching if I can do this without pulling the turbo? I think it's possible.

#18 ·
Would you happen to know what the thread size is for the icp sensor? I want to do the same thing, when I do my upcoming oil cooler replacement.

#17 ·
Just getting it away from the turbo would be beneficial.......:thumbup:

#21 ·
I was just gonna say I can look when I get home, old sensor is on my tool box.

I might go over to the hose/fitting shop after work and see what they say. Being M12 is likely not tapered so would need to be an o-ring style fitting on both ends.

I could also potentially machine some brackets to mount the sensor to.

#22 ·
So its been 24 days since this happened last. And Damnit I didnt have my laptop with me.

Started up vrooommmm drove 35miles mostly out of boost. Got to destination stayed for 3hrs went to leave and crank crank crank nothing.

Spritz of either into the filter while cranking and away she goes with no issues.

So pissed I didn't have a laptop with me at the time. I bought AE just to fight this issue.

#24 ·
Yea just to close out this thread.

The truck being from Atlanta never experienced sub 20F temps, or not often anyways.

It turns out the FICM tune didn't have inductive heating, got a new FICM tune with inductive heating from eric@IDP and haven't had an issue since.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.