6.0 intermittent white smoke smells like fuel!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 10:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 6.0 intermittent white smoke smells like fuel!!

First I want to say thanks for taking your time and reading my thread, any advice is appreciated in advance

So I purchased a 07 6.0 a few months ago, I knew of the egr and oil cooler problems before purchase, as well as turbo and injectors issues..

Within the past few weeks only at ideal do I get a cloud of white smoke, and very strong fuel smell. it happens pretty irregularly but you can expect it after long trips with no load. I recently had a 2 axle 6 * 9 trailer hooked up to it, followed by about 3 tons of gravel in the bed and all you saw was smoke and smelt fuel... *It will smoke until I cut the truck off.

I figured it was the injectors so I took it to the dealership to have it checked but it still isn't throwing any codes. There hasn't been any coolant loss, plus it doesn't smell like coolant.

I'm thinking either injectors or turbo seals, but but there is also a head gasket concern. Although with no codes fords warranty will not cover any work so what should I do???

I'm half way tempted to put an extreme load on it and drive the piss out of the truck until I get a code.. lol I know that's pretty ignorant but I know something is wrong I just can pin point the issue.

Truck does not miss, starts great, and runs with nothing held back, turbo pressure seems fine. Please note that I do not have any computers hooked up to it to monitor exaust temps, oil and water temps..

Thanks again for your input and I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 06:16 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You need a monitor, load test your batteries and perform the ficm check procedure. Could be a ficm problem, with no code.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for your time southend, i just had it in the dealership for the issue i described i don't know if they tested the ficm in anyway but the battery load is where it should be. i know i need a monitor i just cant dish out the cash right now they couldn't find anything while it was in/ funny how it acts up but when you take it in everything is clear lol/ they did tell me that if at any point it is blowing smoke just bring it in and they'll put people on it. the only problem is every time i'm near the dealership the damn thing isn't blowing.. i had it in just last week, that day it did nothing but since then it's been a little more regular and a little less sporadic.. if your interested i will let you know what comes out of it.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:31 AM
Premium Member

Definetly keep us updated, it helps us all. I hear you about the funds, the scanguageII is $160, when you can swing it. Then the money you might spend at the dealer is money you can spend for yourself. The ficm need to be checked cold with a monitor, by the time you run it to them, the condition is not the same. The monitor could help you catch it as it happens. Ford has failed at these engines, not talking about all the good techs out there. Ficmrepair.com has some good info.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:32 AM
Premium Member

Here....Write Up: Monitoring the 6.0L PSD.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:51 PM

just in case you check the ficm there here is a vid that goes into depth.

Thank God for youtube.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.