6.0 Temperature Troubleshooting - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 02:19 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 Temperature Troubleshooting

I bought an '03 F250 in September which needed a pretty fair amount done to it right off the bat. I know all the common problems and steps to bulletproof against them from forum posts. I just purchased electronic monitoring, a livewire ts and took it for a drive this morning. Everything was normal, except engine oil and coolant temps, which is pretty typical for these trucks when the oil cooler is clogged. I don't think I have enough info yet to call out the cooler though. I'm pretty sure the thermostat is stuck open or missing. On level highway the steady state temps were oil at 209F and coolant at 164F. Does this tell me anything about my cooler? I'm planning on replacing the thermostat next weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 02:26 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Thermostat is stuck open or has a bad sending unit but your oil temps are way high.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

So if I understand the "steady state temps" your oils at 209 and coolant at 164 thats a 45 degree diffrence when panic #'s are at 15 so your 3 times over panic...so IMO its time to panic....
Old 11-17-2012, 04:39 PM
Serving Our Country!

Looks like you guys were thinking the same thing as me...I knew it was clearly exceeding the 15F threshhold, just didn't know if that was a valid measurement with the thermostat wide open. Any other opinions? It's gonna be tough for me to get the cash together for the oil cooler any time soon, but I guess I need to start figuring it out. On that note, I'm new to Connecticut, anyone know a good shop?
Old 11-17-2012, 04:46 PM
Mod Newbie

How handy are you with tools? It's not that bad of a job to do yourself.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:19 PM
Serving Our Country!

I'm not worried about replacing the thermostat, that's a very easy job...I'm worried about diving into oil coolers and with a delta as high as it is probably going into the egr cooler, and who knows, probably head gaskets. I'd be willing to do them all myself, just don't know when I'd have the time...
Old 11-17-2012, 06:49 PM
Mod Newbie

You gotta pull the intake and EGR cooler to do oil cooler anyway. Would be a good time to do delete. Could do a good coolant flush and install coolant filter as well.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:46 PM
Serving Our Country!

That's what it looks like...I was hoping that since I had the '03 my EGR Cooler might still be intact even if the oil cooler clogged, but I think I ruled out that positive possibility tonight. I tried the manometer test shown on the bulletproofdiesel webpage, and when I got the truck up to its steady temperature I had bubbles. I then let the turbo relax (as described in their video) and the rate of bubbling went down significantly. To make a bad day worse, it didn't completely go away, so that seems pretty indicative of needing head gaskets...At least according to BulletproofDiesel.
Anyone have any experience using this test for diagnostics? Am I just in whole hog at this point? I don't have any of the "classic" symptoms of either problem, no real large amount of white smoke from the tail pipe, no big overheating problems, no signs of oil in coolant or vice versa. If I had the money set aside to do the full bulletproofing, which I already planned on doing in the future, I wouldn't be too concerned. But I don't...
So...anyone know any good shops in Connecticut? If I had a garage with a lift I would just plan on doing it myself over Christmas while I'm off from work, but I don't. I don't even have a covered area where I could leave it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.