6.0 overheating but no coolant loss - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 09:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 overheating but no coolant loss

I have a 2005 CC xlt 6.0, and it has been a great truck. Had the oil cooler, egr cooler replaced back at about 70k, and now has 155k. For the past 6 months, when I tow, (approx 6000 lbs enclosed race trailer) I have been getting overheat issues. If I keep the speed under 70mph, and light or no grade, the truck is fine. If I get on a bigger hill, or try to maintain over 70mph, the truck starts to overheat. My Ect/eot split is not huge. Maybe 15-20 at the most. When the temp starts to go up, the fan comes on, and as long as I let up a bit, the temps come down. Occasionally it will get the Ect up to around 240 though. I am not losing any coolant, and have the degas level right where it should be. I use 10w30 rotella semi-synthetic oil, and have done coolant flush and added the coolant filter.

Any ideas what might be wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 09:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

whats overheat temp ? EDIT I see 240

6.0 can loose water pump blades/ have t stat issue ETC
Old 11-16-2012, 09:18 AM

Check your air flow; check for restriction;trash;dirty collapsed fins on the condensor;air cooler and radiator. When you flushed did you have the radiator checked/cleaned?
Check your coolant filter may be clogged. I suspect the radiator cores are restricted.

Your deltas are in the danger zone and your ECT is at the coolant boiling point at 240 deg. F What is your actual EOT temps?

Along with zman's info that cover everything but improper fan operation.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

EOT is getting up to 230 at times, but not really much higher. At least not that I can recall. also, the EOT/ECT split is only about 7-12 when using as my daily driver. It is only under load where the split gets larger.

No, I haven't had the radiator checked. When you say the cores are restricted, do you mean internally or externally? Is it something that the radiator could be pulled and hosed out? I know the fan kicks on and goes up to around 2500RPM when the water starts to get hot, so it seems like the fan is working.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:17 PM

Had same issues,new radiator,fixed her up,try to get an all aluminum one.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, more info. I had 2 mechanics check out the truck. The first one is a Ford diesel tech at a large dealership, who also does work on the side. He said he pressure checked the coolant system, and it pushed over 30psi and that I have a bad head gasket. The second guy is a local mechanic that does a lot of diesel work. He said he pressure checked and only got up to 16psi. He says it isn't a head gasket, but more likely something with the fan or radiator. I really don't know who to believe. I hate to spend the money on head gaskets if it isn't needed, but I also don't want to spend money on fan and radiator just to still have an issue with head gaskets. Anyone got any other ideas???

Should I get a pressure Guage and just check it myself? If so, what should I see? I know powerstrokehelp.com has a video showing how to check, but I also have heard he doesn't really know what he's talking about....
Old 11-21-2012, 06:04 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If eot and ect are climbing together, your water pump is probably bad. I would quit running it like that.....

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.