Hard Start Issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 12:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hard Start Issue

Hi folks.... I have been doing some searching and I think I may have narrowed it down but I want to run this by all of you do see what you think.

The issue is now that the weather is cooling down my truck is getting hard to start. First thing in the AM I will crank for about 10 seconds once the glow plug light goes out and there is nothing but cranking. After about 10 seconds I will cycle the key, wait for the light again then crank away and after a few seconds it will come to life with a HUGE puff of white smoke. Its just one big puff and then clears right up. Once the truck has been started for the day I don't have an issue again. It will fire right up every time later in the day with no smoke.

The only other known issue is once in a while the truck will idle rough like it has a cam but a few seconds later clear up. I have been told that may be the exhaust pressure sensor and I am going to order a new one next week.

I do not know the FICM voltages and I have no easy way to test them at the moment, I will check battery condition this weekend when I am home but at the moment unknown. And there are no codes being thrown.

The truck is a early 2004 F250 PSD CC SB and only things done to the motor since birth other than maintenance are EGR delete from Sinister, tuning via SCT from Sinister and muffler delete.

Thank for the help in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 04:56 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You need to get a monitor. Load test batteries and perform ficm check procedure.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:25 PM

I have been trying to save for a monitor but it seems to be a bit harder than I thought. Had the cash but the EGR cooler was giving me fits, then had the cash and ended up replacing the water pump, belt tensioner and belt as well as coolant flush. Had the cash again but tags were due an CA loves to hit us hard so there went another $430. Now Turkey day and Xmas so it will be after the first of the year before I get to buy one.

I will load test the batteries this weekend when I am home and try to check the FICM but I guess I was hoping someone could just chime in and say oh yeah had the same issue and it was part xyz.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:36 PM
Premium Member

I'm chiming in, sounds like ficm.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southend View Post
I'm chiming in, sounds like ficm.

Thank you southend..... I will be saving for not only a monitor but an FICM now. Such is the life of the six oh
Old 11-26-2012, 04:29 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBayou View Post
Thank you southend..... I will be saving for not only a monitor but an FICM now. Such is the life of the six oh
I hear ya brutha, hard to save for anything these days, look at the scanguage II, for the money it can't be beat. You could check it with a volt meter for now, just not under a load. If you do, do it cold. My monitor alarm just went off on mine, ficm voltage hit 45.5v, ugh, batteries are bad too. I'm joining the club, lol.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey guys I'm having the same problem with my 05 f250 but it doesn't get any better throughout the day. Actually it gets worse. Yesterday I didn't think I was getting home. It takes a good 60+ seconds for my truck to start. Do you think I am looking at the same problem?
Old 11-28-2012, 05:25 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdb2201 View Post
Hey guys I'm having the same problem with my 05 f250 but it doesn't get any better throughout the day. Actually it gets worse. Yesterday I didn't think I was getting home. It takes a good 60+ seconds for my truck to start. Do you think I am looking at the same problem?
Sounds like you may be looking at a hpo leak. You need a monitor.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:50 PM

Well I got it figured out for anyone following this thread. I bought a monitor and my FICM voltage was just fine. 47v was the lowest I saw but one day the truck just went into a no start condition with still great FICM voltage as read by the CTS. I was stumped so I sent it to Country Ford in Ceres CA and they call me 10 min later and said they found the issue.... Guess what, it was the FICM!!! I was confused and they told me that what happened was the logic board was dead but the power board was fine. I had them replace that as well as my glow plug control module since that was giving me fits and sure as hell, all is well in the world and the truck runs great. Only down side is that they reflashed everything so now I have to have my tunes rewriten.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:57 PM
Premium Member

Glad you got it fixed, and thanks for the update. Don't hear about logic boards going bad very often.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.