Replacing injector... Looking for advice. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 07:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Replacing injector... Looking for advice.

I have an 05 6.0. It has an intermittent rough idle, a miss can be felt at 1500 rpm under load and it chugs pretty good during warm up. Cyl # 4 is not contributing correctly. It has been this way for about a year and each time the oil is changed the problem goes away only to return after about 1000 miles of the change... I'm pretty sure changing #4 injector will solve the issue.

My question is what else should I consider doing while the D/S valve cover is off?

Thanks!

Doug
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 07:37 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Dummy plugs and stanpipes very commmon issue for a no start while hot symptom. If you don't have it now, might as well prevent going back under the VC in 6 months!

They are screwed into the High pressure oil rails under the valve covers!

Also, how much are you paying for that injector?
If it was me, I would call up Warren Diesel, Or Renegade Diesel and get a full set of injectors to replace all 8... It will run MUCH better will only cost you $500-750.

If you just do one, all the others are getting tired too, so another one might go out 3 months down the road!
Old 11-14-2012, 11:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the reply Eli!

I was thinking of only doing the one because the pass side is going to be a pain. (There is an add-on hydraulic pump & hoses on that side)

Although, at the price you mentioned, it really does make sense to do all of them. This way all dummy plugs and stanpipes could be addressed.

I have not looked into pricing the parts yet but was guessing the injectors might be close to $300.00 ea.

I will give a shout to the places you mentioned...

Thanks again!
Old 11-14-2012, 11:58 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Like Eli stated do at the very least all the injectors in that bank as well as all dummy plugs and standpipes should be addressed as you have to remove them anyway to pull out an injector. I would definitely get ahold of Jesse or Sheldon and get a full set and do them as well as all standpipes and dummy plugs as mentioned. Also while your in that far you might consider an egr delete and updated stc fitting as it wouldn't be to much more work to get those knocked out of the way while your at it.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:11 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrage View Post
Thanks for the reply Eli!

I was thinking of only doing the one because the pass side is going to be a pain. (There is an add-on hydraulic pump & hoses on that side)

Although, at the price you mentioned, it really does make sense to do all of them. This way all dummy plugs and stanpipes could be addressed.

I have not looked into pricing the parts yet but was guessing the injectors might be close to $300.00 ea.

I will give a shout to the places you mentioned...

Thanks again!
No Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
Like Eli stated do at the very least all the injectors in that bank as well as all dummy plugs and standpipes should be addressed as you have to remove them anyway to pull out an injector. I would definitely get ahold of Jesse or Sheldon and get a full set and do them as well as all standpipes and dummy plugs as mentioned. Also while your in that far you might consider an egr delete and updated stc fitting as it wouldn't be to much more work to get those knocked out of the way while your at it.
I agree... If you want to take the center section apart to get there do it... But just for valve covers/ injectors, it is not needed to take off the turbo and misc items there.

Up to you Dkrage what you decide to do there
Old 11-14-2012, 12:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks!

I did the EGR delete, oil cooler and stc fitting a couple years ago... (best thing ever for this engine!) I should be good to go from that standpoint.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:24 PM
Banned

You are correct. I was oh suggesting that as you don't have a list of mods done to the truck. Do you have a monitor in the truck? If not let me know I can be you hooked up!

Bryan @ Stealth Automotive
Old 11-14-2012, 12:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Bryan!

It's a work dump truck and aside from the EGR delete I have kept it stock. Do you think I should still look into a monitor? I guess I might be interested...
Old 11-14-2012, 12:53 PM
Premium Member

I would strongly suggest it. Maybe even before you tear into it to see the health of your oil cooler... might be plugged up without any visible symptoms.

Or your ficm volts, or battery health.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:00 PM
Banned

Yes I would definitely recommend a monitor for every 6.0 owner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.