ABS Light on- Vacuum Pump? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 02:48 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ABS Light on- Vacuum Pump?

Hey guys. I bought my truck back in April with only the defrost vents working and the ABS light on. Now i know the vents are due to a vacuum leak or bad vacuum pump. Checked the pump and its sucking a little bit but I dont think it is nearly as it should be. So I'm going to replace the pump. My question is, will replacing the vacuum pump fix my ABS light too possibly? I read somewhere that the vacuum pump controls the ABS but I am not 100% sure about this. Anyone have this problem before? Thanks

Alex
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 03:54 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Pump won't fix ABS light. Need to check for codes and before replacing pump, check the hoses to your knuckles which supply vacuum for lock outs and check that the little grey hose that goes to the vakve in your heater hose is connected.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:26 AM

Thanks for the reply. I just replaced the entire front end so I know the line going to the knuckles isn't pinched plus I have manual hubs so the vacuum going to the knuckles shouldn't matter I wouldn't think. I'll have to check the other lines to make sure. But this ABS light is annoying me. Especially with winter right under our nose.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 11-14-2012, 07:54 AM
Mod Newbie

Does the speedo work correctly?
Old 11-15-2012, 02:33 PM

yup. sure does
Old 11-15-2012, 03:12 PM
Mod Newbie

Have to pull codes for the ABS light. Pretty common for rear speed sensor to go out bit speedo usually acts weird.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:14 PM

I went to O'Reilly's and had them read the codes. They read:

C1155: Front Left Wheel Speed Sensor Input Circuit Failure
C1230: Rear Center Wheel Speed Sensor Input Circuit Failure

Guess this means my sensors are bad. And i guess it shut off the whole ABS system when a sensor is bad but why? Id think the others would still work. I guess unless it kicks off the system once it reads a fault. Hopefully replacing the sensors will fix the ABS and its only that. I hear this is a common problem on these trucks anyways. But I'm still confused as to how the speedometer was still accurate.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:07 AM
Mod Newbie

If any of the speed sensors are bad, it will disable the whole system
Old 11-18-2012, 04:36 PM

Thats what I figured.

I had some time today so I replaced my rear diff sensor (still waiting on my front left sensor to arrive mon or tues). While I was down there I noticed a line coming off of the left side of the axle splicing about three lines (check pics attatched). The line at the very top of this valve on the axle goes up the the frame and has a barbed fitting (looks like hose connector) and nothing is connected to it. Its an open line. Should this be an open line? or should it have another hose connected to it? Also, what is it?!

Another thing. I found the little grey hose mentioned going to a black box with the AC lines going through it. The line has been repaired before. When the pump is on, nothing is going on with the line- not sure whether there is supposed to be or not. The bos that the grey hose connects to has a nipple sticking out that doesnt even have a hole in it. I have no clue whats going on. Is there supposed to be an opening on the nipple of the box? (see pics to see what Im talking about)
Attached Thumbnails
ABS Light on- Vacuum Pump?-img_1257.jpg   ABS Light on- Vacuum Pump?-img_1259.jpg   ABS Light on- Vacuum Pump?-img_1262.jpg   ABS Light on- Vacuum Pump?-img_1263.jpg   ABS Light on- Vacuum Pump?-img_1264.jpg  

Old 11-18-2012, 04:56 PM
Mod Newbie

The first 2 pics are the vent tube for the rear diff. That is the way it is suppose to be. The gray hose in the other pics are suppose to connect to a valve that is inline in one of the heater hoses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.