I need help!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 05:56 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I need help!!

I have been looking for a tow truck for months. I wanted to buy new, so I didn't have to worry, but that didn't work out. Anyway, I found a 2006 F550 rollback outside of Pitts. PA. The truck has 230k on it but the guy did the studs replaced all injectors, egr delete and some other things that I was worried about he had all the paper work. So I bought it for 22k and while driving home I heard some ticking sounds coming from the engine and then it went away about five minutes later I heard it again and then it sounded like something broke loose and then it made a loud pop and all the oil came out and the truck shut down. I looked under the truck and I saw a small hole in the oil pan. Anyway, I was sick to my stomach luckily my wife was following me. So we had the truck towed to a shop in Crystal Spring, PA called Ficher's. I spoke to the guy and the first thing he said is that I need a motor. I told him that I wanted to have it check to see if it could be fixed without replacing the motor. I don't know what to do, I don't want to put a new or used motor in this thing and have the same issues. So I am thinking just take it to a performance shop somewhere and have them rebuild the motor to where it will not give me any problems and it can handle anything I throw at it. I live in Charlotte, NC. however my mom lives in Laurel Md. So, I need some advise on the best way to handle this, and if someone knows of a good shop in the Maryland area I can take the truck to have everything done right the first time. Thanks, Kyle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 06:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You probably slung a rod, as long as the block is not busted it should be rebuildable.

Just to let you know not all peformance shops are familiar with the 6.0. Any engine rebuilder that is familiar with the 6.0 will do you don't nessicarily need a performance shop. The shops eperience level with the 6.0 should be you decideing factor.

Call around and get you some quotes from several places. Jasper engine will sell you a rebuilt drop-in motor from 12k$ be advised most rebuilts will be built to stock specifications. No bulletproofing but you can always ask em what a bulletproofed engine would cost and if they will do them.

Good luck. To me if you can get the bottom end done and keep your allready done improvements it may be worth your while. Everything will depend on the extent of the damage.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:34 AM

Yeah, I am hoping that I can get the bottom done, around how much would that cost?
Old 11-11-2012, 07:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Like I said depends on the damage. Anywhere from 1500 to 3000.00 is about average.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:22 AM
Premium Member

You have lemon laws there? Get your money back.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:21 PM

I think the lemon law only applies to dealers. The guy owns a auto shop so I am going to see if he would fall under this. He said he would give me some money back so we will see. This is just the beginning, I don't have a truck to work so I have nothing but time to call any and everyone on this planet until I get this right. Anyone that knows the laws in Pa. please chime in.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:31 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Well , the truck was bought used , no lemon law applies at all . Did he offer a warranty or a guarantee ? If not you are at his mercy as to if he wants to help you or not . Me personally I would give you back about 4 grand in this situation .
Old 11-11-2012, 04:39 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Has any of the emmisions equipment been removed from the truck? E.g; egr cooler, catylitic converter etc? If so you can make him return your money and take the truck back because he is legally not allowed to sell that truck to anyone if the emissions equipment has been removed or tampered with.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:49 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
Has any of the emmisions equipment been removed from the truck? E.g; egr cooler, catylitic converter etc? If so you can make him return your money and take the truck back because he is legally not allowed to sell that truck to anyone if the emissions equipment has been removed or tampered with.
I am about 95% sure that only goes for dealers . As an individual you can sell anything as is , it is the buyers responsibility to make it street legal . That would be something tou would have to go to court to try and make happen . He could drag it out for years if he's smart .
Old 11-11-2012, 04:56 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Night View Post
I am about 95% sure that only goes for dealers . As an individual you can sell anything as is , it is the buyers responsibility to make it street legal . That would be something tou would have to go to court to try and make happen . He could drag it out for years if he's smart .
Even Ohio recently adopted this law. Regardless if it's a private sale by a private party or a sale made by a dealer he is legally responsible for makin sure that all of the emissions equipment is present and working properly before the sale of the vehicle or the buyer can force a return on them. Also in PA it's mandatory for the seller to have all emmisions equipment present and working as they have mandatory emissions checks in that state.

For instance a few years back I took my brother to pa to buy a pick up and before the seller was allowed sign over the title he had to have it inspected by a state "certified" emissions shop to check and make sure all emissions equipment was present and working properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.